What is your best bit of kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
For me a couple of bits.
Arktis DanCam jacket, I don't know how I managed without this.
Large folding mug goes almost everywhere

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My Paramo Cascada jacket, including what I keep in the pockets. It gives me a great feeling of last-ditch security knowing that it will keep me warm and dry as long as I can find a sheltered spot. Close behind is the sierra cup I bought in the US in the 1970s. I have to admit that it is not as good as a modern titatanium mug or even a Crusader cup, but I have adjusted myself to it. It is cooking pot, mug, food bowl and reminder of many travels.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Good question the things that I use a lot and would really miss are:-

My cheapo £5.00 Karimor Carter hat. It's the only baseball(ish) cap my Mrs says I don't look like a prat in.
My Fenix E01 torch (cheap battered and not very bright but the battery lasts for ever and it never lets me down)
My SAK Deluxe Tinker. This is my pocket knife for work and has done everything from changing locks to repairing glasses.

The things that I don't use much but would be loath to get rid of are :-
My SVEA 123. and
My Karrimor Sabre 45
My WW2 Repro German smock which you can just about see in my avatar. I got it for next to nothing on ebay it fits perfectly and is very well made and apparently was quite expensive when new.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Without any shadow of a doubt it'd have to be my Bergans Morgedal smock; Ive only had this for a few months but it's hardly ever off me when I'm out, and that's every day. The most comfortable and well designed item I've ever owned, and perfect for this British weather.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
German 3 pot set with adapted Swedish army trangia windshield & coke can stove. Simple, cheap and millions of the things made if I lose or break it.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
ooo i would say my self handled scandi knife for all the love and care i put into the handle and sheath, it is definitely my pride of joy. but also my swedish snow smock i spent weeks modding by hand, stitching reindeer leather around all the edges and generally making it awesome it keeps me happy in all weather. aaah also my sheepskin turnshoes! the comfiest camp shoes i have ever made

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I'm reviving this thread, cos I am rarely without a knife and lighter, even though I don't smoke and barely cut things outside my house. I would be heartbroken if I lost my opinel nº4, because, well, because! I have a very useful jacket-thing that I am considering barbour-ing, and several bits of gear I'd be screwed if I lost, but I could replace all of them, probably with better gear! Not the opinel though, it was my Grandads (I have other stuff from him, but nowt I use)

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I'm glad you revived this thread. I'm going to mention two 'best' bits of kit. The old one, that I've had for 35 years I think, is my Victorinox Safari Trooper knife.

Victorinox002_zps3a5c8ce8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The blade is missing the tip but I've sharpened it and it keep the edge really well. The saw is very sharp, and is probably almost as sharp as the day I bought it. It is an extremely useful piece of kit and, having used it for 3-and-a-half decades I feel like it's almost part of me. It will be in my will when I eventually croak.

The other item I find useful is my recently acquired Flyye shoulder bag. Its the 11-pocketed 'Accessories' model and I carry lots of useful stuff in it. I've added a phone pouch to the side. This photo is not great ....

flyye002_zps4530b323.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
3 drinking things for me.

My Crusader mug, really useful. A quite big Stanley thermos flask, that has been dropped frequently. Also a purple leather covered 16oz hip flask! I bought it in 1984, and it is still going very strong :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Although I could sometimes do with something a little bigger it goes with me both work and play, my finnish shoulder bag and contents, had it a couple of years a real bargain
tyga4u5a.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE