Rabbit skin glue?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Folks
I've seen plenty for sale on eBay but for wildly differing prices, are there any brands to avoid and who sells it for the best price/quality?

Does anyone have a small amount to sell or trade for me to try, pretty please?

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No problem mate - do you want me to send you the ingredients or a made up batch? (I use sawdust or brick dust rather than caranuba wax as they feel more "working man" to me)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Which ever is easiest for you, thanks! Looking at the net there's dozens and dozens of reciepts, my last attempt at it failed after a few months, it just cracked and fell off the spout of the salt horn I made.

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Equal parts resin and substrate by volume. Melt the resin, filter if needed, add the substrate (charcoal, brick dust, sawdust). Add a little beeswax. Dip a small stick in and run under cold tap for half a minute. You should be able to just dent it with a thumbnail, not with a finger tip and it should not crack when banged. If it dents easily - too much wax. If it shatters, too little wax. That's how I do it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Send me your address again then Tom and I'll pack you upo some "makings" when I get a chance. If I find a minute, I'll try to make some up too - but I'm short on time

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Rabbit skin glue will just be a type of hide glue. I will put some of my home made hide glue in with your parcel, was gonna throw it so if you can make use then great!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, I'll see if they have one round her, violin makers that is.

uw, that's a neat looking kit, thanks Red!

I'm wondering how easy is it to make rabbit skin glue, assuming I could get some off the lock bunny blasters? As you know I don't mind funny smells and gory prep. Something for me to look into.

atb

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Throw bunny skins in pot with minimal water, boil for a loooonnngg time, strain - done! You can make hide glue from a rawhide dog chew come to that. Rabbit glue should be available from an art shop near you if thats what it has to be.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers Red! Parcel of glue making stuff arrived this AM . I'll really enjoy experimenting with that, once I have the full use of my hands back after sewing that damnable leather last night. Fingers as stiff as boards and several deep puncture wounds, the sort stopped by hitting bone......

thanks again!

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE