Tipi tent with frontier stove - Carbon Monoxide and Smoke detector needed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,

I have just got a tipi tent and frontier stove. I want to run the stove through the night. Do I need a Carbon Monoxide and Smoke detector? Any advice about what people are using would be appreciated.

I don't like the idea of letting the stove burn out before sleeping and then spending a cold night. I think the whole point is a warm, good nights sleep!

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
I've just got a 2man lavvu and small home made stove I'm interested in knowing about this as I haven't used it yet on a camp. My stove was made from a fire extinguisher and I plan to take my son with me aswell, does it have to be well ventilated ? I was planning to use coal in it aswell.
C00B8E16-E74C-44B5-825C-1EA4A20290E5.jpg

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
I'm sure some experienced chaps will be along soon, i'm at a similar stage to yourselves.
Afaik:
1. CO detectors in tents are fallible.
2. Check out a link posted earlier today re a synopsis of hot camping.
3. Adequate ventilation's a must
4. Burn through the night only if one maintains a watch system as conditions change.
I hope this helps lads :)

ollyboyd

Dec 2, 2013
Scotland
I don't know if you need one but the CO alarm I bought last week didn't need to be installed at height, the manual said you could just leave it on a shelf at sleeping height

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Burning seasoned UK native wood, with the exception of stuff like laburnum etc, ensuring the stove is open-ish (IE not shut down) so it draws, there is a good draw from the lum (the space doesn't fill with smoke from blowback), and there's a through flow of air in the tent, there should be no carbon monoxide issues, once one starts burning coal paraffin etc, then carbon monoxide becomes a real issue.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I would leave coal well alone. The frontier has quite a narrow flue to which will be a worry if burning pitchy wood. Ive read quite a few stories of blocked pipes and smoke filled tents. With good dry hardwood though it should be fine. I found i was really nervous about sleeping with the stove on initially but i gained in confidence and now it doesnt bother me.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Twodogs posted a thread yesterday alerting everyone to a very thorough post in Paul Kirtley's blog about how to set a safe hot tent. Sorry I can't do a link on the Ipad but it should be easy to find.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Whatever you do, you won't be able to just leave it all night; you will find yourself having to refuel it, even if almost closed.

I was amazed at how much wood you can get through in just one night.

Don't the makers of the frontier specifically say it is designed for cooking and not as an overnight heater?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have a frontier stove and bell tent. I have a moxy alarm that comes on every trip that the stove does.
I have never seen the moxy alarm register anything whilst using the stove and chandelier. I dont tend to put the stove out before retiring for the night but I wont stuff it full either.
The stove doesn't have that great a capacity so wont last long without tending.

Just have plenty of kindling read for the morning so you can get the fire lit ad jump back into bed until things warm up. Plus if you did want it heating all night you would be up and down constantly stoking the thing, I would rather get a good nights sleep.

Disclaimer, my tent has a purpose fitted Jack, I clean the flu daily when out and i only use wood not coal. The tent has plenty of ventilation and I always use a moxy alarm.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
When I bought my tent stove from the soulpad website.i was told too only burn wood as coal burns at a hotter temperature thus heating the the flue too much n causing a fire risk.i tend too stay awake till the fire starts too die down so I know its on its way out.i tend too keep prepped kindling ready so if I wake up in night cold I get fire going again easy.just have a play with it a few times n see what your comfortable with.i still take a kip bag for the sprog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you are at all concerned about carbon monoxide becoming an issue, plan on letting the fire out - but, prepare two, three or more bundles of tinder & kindling.

If you have good sleeping bags, you'll sleep through the night without the stove and have the materials to hand to light the fire again in the morning.

If you have two or more bundles, you have the option to sit up and light the stove during the night to warm things up if you begin to feel cold.

Ventilation is the key to using a stove in a tent and having an alert and attentive fire watcher is a must if you want to maintain the stove through the night.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I always let the tent stove die down before turning in. I always clean the flue out daily and make sure the spark arrestor is not clogged. I always take a carbon monoxide detector, Fire Extinguisher, I sit the stove on Fire Blanket. And I always keep a knife strapped to pole just in case I need to cut my way out.

I use a 4m Bell Tent and Pipsqueak stove.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Living for real in a Tipi in winter letting the fire go out is not a option, no fire extinguisher no fire blanket, just a large fire in the middle at one point we had a log from the fire to the outside of the tipi.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
I would leave coal well alone. The frontier has quite a narrow flue to which will be a worry if burning pitchy wood. Ive read quite a few stories of blocked pipes and smoke filled tents. With good dry hardwood though it should be fine. I found i was really nervous about sleeping with the stove on initially but i gained in confidence and now it doesnt bother me.
Even smokeless coal ? Does that produce carbon monoxide aswell ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE