Very not bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In my redd out of the cupboards I have come across a set of Sheffield butter knives. "Duchess Brand, Stainless, Sheffield, England.
16.5cms long from the tip of the blade to the end of the present handle. Set of six.
Unused (came from a great auntie's house) with fake mother of pearl handles.

Thing is though, they're so old that the fake mop stuff, which I presume is an early plastic, has shrunk, warped, cracked, etc., and is really not worth saving.

The blades (tanged handles) however, are worth saving. They actually look pristine. The aunt who cleared out her aunt's house said that she had disposed of the box because it looked so grubby, but it had been taped closed.

So, not old enough or special enough to have one of those hard cased boxes, but still nice enough at the time to be kept for good.

Anyone want six wee butter knives in need of new handles ? I reckon they'd look rather good with something hand made and maybe from native timbers :)

Cover postage costs, which shouldn't be much, and I'm happy to see them off to someone else's good things stash :D

cheers,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know ? I think every house in the land has a knife that looks absolutely kicked but is among the most used tools in the kitchen :D

Mine's a butter knife of my Grandmothers :D It does duty as everything from a scraper-offer of pretty much anything, to occasional use as a screwdriver :eek: It's just made from such good steel that it's hardly worn and it just gets sharper :) The handle though is totally disreputable.

M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You are right. My best kitchen knife is one I found when clearing up a site that had been trashed by some pseudo-campers - you know, trees hacked and left with 3' stumps, litter and bottles everywhere, burn scars, and so forth. This knife was lying on the ground, tarnished but not rusted. Handle looked a bit rough, but sound.

I took it home, cleaned it up, and it holds an edge like a razor and is easily the sharpest knife in the house, and that is including my bushcraft knives.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I'd be interested if no-one else is. I've a project list as long as my arm but it'd save you having to post them. How long are the tangs, I've a bunch of precut yew that might fit but depends on tang length.

Cheers

Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Alan, you're very welcome to them :)

I have no idea how long the tangs are....though gimme a minute and I'll try and shine a light through the handle and see if I can get some idea.

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The present handles measure 6.5cms and the tang, past the ferule, measures nearly 4cms.

I think they would still look balanced with a slightly longer handle too though.

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Your right Toddy, despite having something of a knife fetish and treating myself to a set of Global knives a few years back the knives I use most as the old manky looking high carbon steel jobs. Take a brilliant razor edge in seconds and just feel so comfortable to use. Been 'round the (chopping) block a few times but will see me out.

In fact all the cutlery I use in the house is older than me whilst the new stuff just sits pretty unloved.

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Y'know ? I think every house in the land has a knife that looks absolutely kicked but is among the most used tools in the kitchen
M

This.

I've got a good idea in my head what they sound like, but any chance of a pic? My parents have some great ones that sound just like it, as did my grandmother.

I'd be interested if nobody else is, I hate "modern" cutlery - it's all thick, ugly shapes and blunter than a pair of slippers. Not wafer-thin, sharp and strong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE