Recommend me a hiking stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
infamy Infamy they've all got it in for me. Slightly offended. pouch and tool 100g spares for pump and stove(minus 2 fuel jets) 100g 0.3l fuel bottle 75g . white gas I have, lasts no where as long as parrafin, lights faster but not much. Suppose thats why the soto came about. Lighting time due to the fuel/weather. To be honest preheating on a little 100g cartridge seems an idea or with a lighter, but it just adds weight.

What can I say

[video=youtube;IqdtzJvliMk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqdtzJvliMk[/video]

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ever tried a jet boil, not great at low temps, but work as standard down to -7 according to jetboil, fills all you need, light easy to use very quick to set up and works very well under normal conditions, fuel efficient too...;)

worth a look mate...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Last year I bought one of those £5 stove heads off ebay, coupled with a 100g cylinder and a 750ml tit mug is a very compact and light set up, and worked well last wekend. But it didnt get too cold.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just bought the go system titanium stove. At 50g its light and cost about £30. The gas can I picked up weights 100g and fits inside my pot.

5edymaqy.jpg
ymurynuz.jpg
egemeru2.jpg

Orric

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Non stick Trangia with gas converter for a tad under £50. It's a very good price, just sprung for one myself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trangia-Non...=UTF8&qid=1390209785&sr=8-19&keywords=trangia

Been using a folding Vango for a while, it's very small and packs into a 1lt Litech pot. I like the Vango as it sits fairly stable on uneven ground. I'm not a fan of balancing pots of boiling liquid on burners mounted on top of gas cartridges. Litech pots and pans are top bits of kit too.

http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/pr...gclid=CMiJzp2VkLwCFanjwgodBhkABA#.Ut7gbX-QGSM

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2014
Florida, USA
I've got a MSR International and I love it. However I also have a SoloStove with the accessory kit (Swedish firesteel, Large chunk of fatwood, spirit burner, and wind shield) which I love! The advantages of the gas stove is that it is quick, reliable (if you take care of it), and clean - your pots don't get sooted up while cooking. Big disadvantage is that it gives off no ambient heat.

The Solo Stove
Pros: lightweight, burns biomass (twigs), very efficient, not dependent on carrying around your fuel (I will say that one is a fool if one uses this stove and doesn't keep a sack of try twigs and kindling in their pack in the event that conditions turn foul - also good to cave some extra denatured alcohol for the spirit stove which I only use if I'm really tired, conditions really stink, or I just don't want to bother with making a fire), generates ambient heat so you can warm up while cooking, and after cooking you can upend your stove and dump your hot coals to easily start a campfire

Cons: some places will not allow you to make a fire; pots get sooty and require cleaning (a little bit of a pain in the butt).

I have to say that I can remember camping up in the mountains of New York where the temp dropped a good 30 degrees F in no time flat and it was raining hard... And we were cooold. I would have given a lot of money to trade my gas stove for the twig burner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE