Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
He likes his Americanism's :)

More like I just cannot be bothered with being pedantic...

Still, since you're going to push the point... "pants" (the word and its association) came from the 19th century British term "pantaloons", with its roots coming from the 3rd century canon "Saint Pantaleone". Pan being greek for "all", leo is the Latin word for "lion". Eventually he became the patron saint of physicians, and through his canonization for "courage" and "strength" (having survived six execution attempts at the hands of the Romans), many boys were christened in his name for centuries.
"Pants" came into the vernacular through a comic drama as a character called "Panteleon" ("all lion") being synonymous with "the comic fool". The actor playing this character on stage would wear breeches (another British word, by the way) that were tight below the knee, but bloused out between the waist and the knee.

Weirdly, in the 18th century this became the fashion (for men) throughout western Europe (and Great Britain), and so leg-covering clothing became known as "pants". Since clothing worn against the skin at this point was already known as "under garments", the logical distinction of "underpants" became synonymous with any lower garment worn under the pants.

And so it is not an American term at all, but in fact British by way of Roman (Latin) and Greek origin.

So, now that I have indulged in the pedantic, perhaps we can dispense with the linguistic pissing contests for a while; what do you say?

EDIT: Also, the word "pantaloons" became disassociated with men's clothing completely, and became associated with (eventually defined as) a woman's undergarment to be worn under the hooped skirts of the same period.

EDIT AGAIN: Just for the record, I was made to study Latin at grammar school... so if I use a word you find "strange" you should perhaps consider that all people are different, rather than expecting everyone to conform to your particular mannerisms. It comes across as offensive to criticise someone for using a perfectly legitimate word just because you are unaware of its national origins.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Lst time I checkedd we were in the 21st century and men in this country wear trousers, americans call them pants, your not an american are you?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu when are we doing the response pack challenge?

I am looking to do it in the summer not sure of the date yet still got to set the summer dates, I am looking to running it as an additional day/night to a Monthly meeting, got to get the other challenges run and over first, that one should need no real work ,a s we will be there, and the kit list is quite simple , but it will be quite strict as well.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Right.. think that this has gone too Far now.....

Stop it before it go's any further, banter is banter, but getting comments like the above in the thread is not helpful.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Following on from Chris's question about the Responce Pack Challenge, Ive been looking at the dates for July on wards,

The ones we have so far
7th & 8th March 2014 - Monthly Meet
15th & 16th March 2014 - RAT Challenge - PM For Details
4th & 5th April 2014 - Monthly Meet
2nd & 3rd May 2014 Monthly Meet - we may make this a 3 night if enough are interested, due to the bank holiday
23rd May to 26th May 2014 - 4 Night Boone Challenge.
6th & 7th June 2014 - Monthly Meet

Keeping the meetings to the same monthly date ie the first full weekend of the month I am wondering about the following

4th to 6th July - Monthly Meet
1st to 3rd August - Monthly Meet
5th to 7th Sept -Monthly Meet
3rd to 5th October - Monthly Meet.

The Schools Break up on or around the 23rd July for summer as far as I can work out, so the family camp will be after that, I did wonder if the August Meet could be the Family Camp and make it 4 nights.. or maybe 21st to 25th can I have your feelings

I am thinking about making the Response Pack Challenge the 5th July, ie the Saturday night of the July Meet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE