Is this spalted birch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I recently made these two spoons to give away:

vOqKPnxl.jpg

It broke my heart actually as they are my best two pieces to date; especially the one at the bottom as the symmetry and proportions are so nice.

Anyway, I have never seen birch come up with such an interesting finish before, usually it is much cleaner. Is that spalting or is something else going on?

Ta everso.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Lovely spoons SM, I can see why you're proud of them goodjob

As for spalting, it looks like could possibly be the start. Normally the spalting 'viens' are much darker

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think if it had ben left for a bit longer before harvesting it would have been spalted, very nice work either way :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks chaps.

I have a bit of previous when it comes to starting gift projects and then keeping them for myself. It was really hard to part with them :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great work! I'd probably say the same as others looks like the early stages of it, you've made some cracking spoons there! :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks folks.

Are there any outward signs of spalting on the wood/bark or is it pot luck when you begin to work it?

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Really nice work, well done.

I posted some birch spoon pics recently asking the same question and folks here consensed(is that a word?) that they had some spalting.

But with mine, there were moss-green "veins" (as Mesquite described) running through it. I agree with the suggestions here that if your materials look like they were on their way to it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE