How much does your pack weigh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Ok I now have all my kit together after starting out a about 3 months ago. The picture below has everything I need for and overnighter minus food and water.
Hennessy hammock deleux
Alpkit mat
Dutch army sleeping bag m90
Small Forest Axe
Laplander
Condor bushlore
10cm billy, hobo stove, cook kit
First aid kit
Cordage
Tinder
Water bottle (empty)
Head torch and torch.
Catapult
Back up knife

All came in at a spine rearranging 17kgs

So the question is what's does yours weigh with every thing you need. In it for an overnighter.

2atatu7y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For a single overnighter I'm probably around 2-3kg depending on what I plan to eat, for longer trips anything from 8-12kg and I'm happy.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
In winter around 45-50lb, that's with food, water, warm clothes, and all the normal stuff mentioned above.
the bag, berghaus vulcan, 7lb
hillegerg nallo 2 gt, 7lb
us army black sleeping bag, 5lb
I guess there is a few lbs :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
My all year set up with everything I need for all seasons is (currently, but in general circa) 16kg, In a heavy pack, it's light enough for me though :).

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
When I actually went out for a week or more my pack weighed in around 20 kg, inc food water clothes, all in.

These days I reckon for an over-nighter perhaps up to 2 days = 10 ish kg lighter if I tried, not a big fan of moving around carrying heavy stuff anymore.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Your dutch army sleeping bag is about 5KG so there's your problem.

Your kit is all bomb proof stuff but the penalty is that it's heavy. Over time you will probably end up swapping bits out and some of that stuff will be less bulky and less heavy.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Paul and rich what's your kit list I can get to about 4kg including food and water in summer but never in winter would be interested in your gear :)

cheers andy

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
OMM 32l pack 680g

Trail star 700g or bivy bag 650g
pegs 60g
Western mountaineering megalight bag 710g
polycryo ground sheet 50g
thermarest xtherm 400g
folding mug 46g
snowpeak 900 pot with modded lid 140g
water filter 150g
2l coke bottle to screw filter onto 50g ish i guess
map, case and compass 200g
gas canister 201g
pocket stove 60g
headlight 60g
spork 15g
soto lighter 30g
fak 80g
mountain house meal and a flapjack bar
a few 2 in 1s

shade over 4kg if my math is right. If going up a mountain i would carry extra food in case of delayed return

walking poles - carried so i dont add to pack weight

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
So all things considered I am not to far out especially with a 5kg bag. I am happy with that. I won't be humping it miles and miles. And yes a summer kit would be a lot lot less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cheers paul I think I need a bank loan for some nice light stuff lol

to be honest its pack,shelter, sleeping bag and sleep mat that are the spendy things. Some people will happily sleep on a ccf which is lighter and cheaper. most 30l mountain packs will be sub 1kg and can be had cheap. sleeping bag wise you can get a mountain hardware lamina 20 for 50 quid and its around 1kg and packs tiny. A 3x3 tarp with some clever origami would function like a trail star for not much more weight and far cheaper. there is always a way to go light without spending a fortune.

edit. lamina 40 not 20.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Paul and rich what's your kit list I can get to about 4kg including food and water in summer but never in winter would be interested in your gear :)

cheers andy

Mine is very similar to Pauls but with a few changes, if it's only an overnighter sometimes I won't bother taking food, especially stuff that needs cooking. If I just take a couple of pasties and stick to drinking water I can drop the stove, pot, fuel, mug, brew kit etc etc. It's not something i do regular but it's nice to go fast and light sometimes.

My typical kit list for hiking in the hills is here ...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89562&p=1079851#post1079851

It's been tweaked and lightened up a bit more since then but 8.2kg did me fine for 200 miles across Scotland a few years ago.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Pack weight all depends on what I'm doing. Overnighters are the worst mostly-I'll load up a big pack with all the luxuries. If I'm carrying far, then weight becomes an issue.

For a meet, I'll often take 50kg. For a 3 season backpacking hammock trip, my weight before food is around 6kg. For the last lightweight bushy 11 day trip in Norway at temps down to -3c, I carried 15kg.

A rule I try to stick to is 10% of my bodyweight to carry if possible over distance or gradients-anything heavier feels like I'm carrying a good load.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
10% of body weight, not heard of that before. I weigh 13.5 st(189 lb) so 10% of that is 18.9lb, christ I have a lot to loose from my normal carry.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
This is my current kit list for the winter. My tent is a real luxury and is nice if the weather is grim - I can hang out inside it without feeling cramped. I will be changing this to a Hilleberg Akto once i've saved up the cash though, that will take 2kg off my load. The sleeping bag is overkill but it's big and very comfy. Sure I could be ok without a frying pan but do I like a full english for breakfast?! Hell yes I do! Same as having a chair... of course I can sit on the floor but I like not sitting on the floor.

Current Item
Weight (g)
Tent
Vaude Terraquattro 3P
Sleeping Bag
Mountain Hardwear Big Bang SL
Sleeping Mat
Thermarest Xtherm Large
Pillow Case
Thermarest UltraLite Pillow Case
Chair
Helinox Chair One
Stove
Primus Express Stove
Cook Pot
Primus LiTech Trek Kettle
Wind Shield
Primus Windscreen
Gas
Primus PowerGas 230g
Frying Pan
Primus LiTech Frying Pan
Spoon
Esbit Titanium Folding Spoon
Fork
Esbit Titanium Folding Fork
Water Carrier
MSR Dromedary Bag - 4 litre
Cup
Large Fold-A-Cup
FAK
Lifesystems First Aid Pocket Pack
Saw
Bahco Laplander Folding Saw
Wash Kit
Self made kit
Backpack
Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre 65:85

The total weight is 12.181 kg (about 27 lbs) plus food and water. My knife, head torch and a few other small items I carry on my person and have not been accounted for. I'm about 100kg and this weight doesn't bother me much. Using the Hilleberg Akto will take the weight down to 9.931 kg (about 22 lbs).

This load out works for over night or over several nights and i'm very happy with the reliability of the items, though some are quite new to me, like the thermarest - I have had no issues with other products over the years and expect the same from the new mat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE