Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
yeah bit of string with two set of beads, one set has nine on the other one has as many as you want, the set of nine is units of 100m, the others are 10's of units..

measure out 100m and pace it out to work out how many paces you have to 100m, say you have 76 paces, then every 76 paces you move the unit beads... just like an abacus... :), then every ten unit beads move a ten bead.. :)

Sounds simple enough.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Well I've invited a Ghost into my home......

Attachments

• ghost unstrung.jpg
    ghost unstrung.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 10
  • ghost strung.jpg
    ghost strung.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 10
  • gn ghost.jpg
    gn ghost.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 10
Bit lost still don't know what RAT pack challenge is...Can someone provide me with a link?
Or is that the "response" pack thing everyone has been talking about and preparing for recently? o_O

Also, does anyone know where to get reasonable fire striker/ferrocerium rod blanks for a reasonable price? like 7/8 quid on ebay... bit much for my liking

Last edited:

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Today I have been doing some work on the SuffRAT and now have come up with an outline of an event, It will be a one nighter in Rendlesham, Starting Melton Station, lunch time, where a route will be started off, with a Grid ref to the next point, the route be made up of a number of Way Points and about 5km Long, this will be a wild camp.

On the second date there is a 14km route around the area working on the same basis....

The only Food you can take is a British Army RAT Pack for the event plus your water. and using the following kit, the idea is to be basic have a limited amount of food, use basic kit, and practice you navigation skills..

Rucksack
Tarp no larger then 3x3 and ridge line with pegs
Sleeping Bag
Roll Mat
British Army Hexi Burner
Mess Tins and or Crusader Cup
Knife Fork Spoon
Hygiene Kit
Knife/Axe/Saw
First Aid Kit and Prescribed Med’s

Map of area Compass, Pace Beads... No GPS UNITS allowed..

Nothing Else..

PM me for details,
a nice challenge

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Also, does anyone know where to get reasonable fire striker/ferrocerium rod blanks for a reasonable price? like 7/8 quid on ebay... bit much for my liking
sports direct about £5 the Large size rods striker is naf but the rods are fine[/QUOTE]

I've got some coming I ordered on Amazon. They were like ~80p each, but I ordered them weeks ago and they still haven't arrived. Annoying as I ordered a large quantity, so they took quite a bit of my £'s

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Bit lost still don't know what RAT pack challenge is...Can someone provide me with a link?
Or is that the "response" pack thing everyone has been talking about and preparing for recently? o_O

Two different Challenges

RAT Pack Challenge is as per the Mitch66 Post Above and my post #3919....This has been anounced... and I have also answered your question in post #3959

Responce Challenge has not been anounced and I have only spoken about it the only details I Have said, is you can use what you want... but all your kit for the Challenge must be carried in a Responce Pack or something not more the 3Ltr's in size... nothing to be carried in the pockets... the only other thing your allowed to carry is your water.

I have said that I am thinking about running the Responce Challenge in the summer maybe taged on to a long weekend...as the amount/type of kit that can be used is shall we say not good in bad weather :)

they are very diffent challenges..... and reading the thread fully does help stop frustration.

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Stu, loving the way you have tweaked the ratpack challenge, nice! I will nick some of your adjustments for my next one.

I know all members of your gang are upstanding members of the community! And would dare not cheat or bend the rules! But eagle eyes will be needed, as i had one or two(no names,no pack drill) Who, shall we say curved a couple.

Should be a hoot, and i am looking forward to see the results/reports and pics, so as i can finely tune the whole concept, and of course take all the glory!

Ivan...

Also, only just seen you post on the other thread,re an excahnge visit, that would be great later in the year.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Stu, loving the way you have tweaked the ratpack challenge, nice! I will nick some of your adjustments for my next one.

I know all members of your gang are upstanding members of the community! And would dare not cheat or bend the rules! But eagle eyes will be needed, as i had one or two(no names,no pack drill) Who, shall we say curved a couple.

Should be a hoot, and i am looking forward to see the results/reports and pics, so as i can finely tune the whole concept, and of course take all the glory!

Ivan...

Also, only just seen you post on the other thread,re an excahnge visit, that would be great later in the year.

Hi Ivan,

I hope people dont try to change things, or cheat, at the end of the day, thay lose out, I ve tried to make it a reason to do it as well, I know that quite a few of our guys like a walk and to check out their gear and load carrying as suce so I thought I would make it a Food, Map Work and a wlak as well,

No Doubt you will see a few pics :)

Its always good to meet other groups and new people , it bring new ideas and freindships :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE