Kovea Spider - Lightweight Gas Stove - First Impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
And I did. £3 adaptor on ebay means I can use the long thin gas cartridges too now if I need to, making the stove more versatile.

I also got got a large, thick tin-foil roasting dish from my friend that she used for Xmas Turkey. Will be snipping that to shape to make windshield.

Concur with the general comments, the spider is a good all rounder, especially appropriate in winter.
I managed to come up with a simple design for a 360 deg windscreen, which improves efficiency, to suit smaller pots like the MSR Titan etc.
I made from 0.15mm thick aluminium sheet but a disposable baking tray would also work well.

img_0946.jpg

Dimensions etc. "HERE"

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
....... As I mentioned though the piezoelectric igniter is garbage and has already been replaced with a lighter.

Interesting. I have the Primus Eta Power which comes with a separate piezo igniter, and it works perfectly; admittedly a bit to my surprise! Maybe you got a duff one?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Oddly enough, retrieved piezo igniter from box of rubbish and it now works - just. Too unreliable for field use though...

Clearly Kovea need to examine the Primus version supplied with the Eta Power, which has never failed (and in the process saved lots of hair on my hands!) I initially thought it was a bit of a gimmick (particularly as they had moved it from a permanent fixture on the burner as in previous versions), but I have to give credit whre credit is due.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE