Article: Gransfors Bruks Mini Hatchet - review (2009 - 2014)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Great review. I like the Wilderness axe - I know it's a compromise but it suits my purposes. But, frankly, I think you get great quality with Gransfors regardless of which one you have.

JohnnyB

Jul 26, 2013
York
Great review and brilliant pics! Makes me want to go out and buy one and then head to the woods!

Cheers,

JB

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
I have had one of these for the last 7 years (my how time flies!!) They are a superb small axe and really useful, I have made everything from spoons to canoe paddles, I kept mine by the stove for a while to knock corners off logs that were slightly too big (had a mini chopping block too), I use it with the scouts, use it when collecting kindling, everything.

If you want to know the potential of pocket axes look at woodcraft and camping by Nessmuck. with skill and intelligence you can do a lot with a tiny axe. You just have to remember that there are limitations and also little axes can bounce back quite fast as they have no counterweight from a handle - I have a half inch scar on my left wrist to show for that mistake, an inch higher and it would have been very nasty.....

Also don't expect your other half to understand why tiny axe costs the same as big axe. :lmao:

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Thanks for the review and agree with the comments about your great pictures, I've got a gerber/fiskars axe which just won't die! as would love to get another GB but can't justify (swmbo can't let me justify) another axe the same size.
One day

Jan 20, 2014
Chelmsford, Essex
What a great review. Great words, great picture and a great little axe. i have just bought a Hultafors and they are excellent. there's a great vid on YouTube their workshop and it doesn't really differ from the GB one! Didn't really think about getting an axe until I saw a number of YouTube vids.

I too want my children to find the joy in time in the woods and spending that little more on those items that you wish to pass down the family line is well worth it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE