Reindeer Hide?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Good People, eldest got a reindeer hide for christmas, and the way it is shedding is driving mum mad, is there a simple solution to slow the process down or even stop it, as he will have to put it away, and is not happy about that!

Thankyou.

Ivan...

Oh at least he has discovered hoovering!!

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Hello mate. From what i know, if it was shot in molting season it continues. I know a nice warm house won't help. Maybe someone can recommend a spray of some sort. Good luck.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Good question Ivan.
We got one from a game fair last September and it hasn't stopped shedding its a nightmare, I'm surprised there's anything left on it!
Hopefully somebody has a solution?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ammo is right, if its not killed at the right time of year, it'll shed much worse.

I have one that isn't too good. All the reindeer skins I've seen in Lapland that the locals own are in a different league.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ammo is right, if its not killed at the right time of year, it'll shed much worse.

I have one that isn't too good. All the reindeer skins I've seen in Lapland that the locals own are in a different league.

Hi Teepee, yeah i am sure they have access to the absolute cream of the crop, and i now know that if it was culled during molt i am crocked, but this thing is shedding like nobodys business.

Somebody did suggest a good quality hairspray! But i am not convinced, i am also a bit wary of a silicone based product as the boy doesn't want a slide!

Some genius on here will be along soon i am sure.

Ivan...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I think some have a silicone treatment to limit shedding - not sure if you can get this applied?

I have one of those and it doesn't shed, yet we had two without that shared like mad, soon got rid of them!

Good luck in your sear Ivan! :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Just a reminder, anybody help please, only the hide has been banished to a bin liner! Poor boy.

Ivan...

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Ah it'd be such a shame for it to be hidden away like that, they're such beautiful things! Mine sheds like mad when its on the floor, then I put it on a disused radiator where it was away from everything pretty much. This almost entirely stopped the shedding - an alternative is you can pin it to a wall or something similar where it won't come into contact with anything much. Also, pets indoors make the problem much worse, not sure if that affects you though? HTH :)

I cannot take the credit for this comment I have just been online with a mate in Norway who is a hunter etc...

"It’s not possible to stop a tanned reindeer skin from ‘molting’.

They shed hair like nobody's business!! The hair doesn't shed really it breaks as it is very brittle when it’s used to sit or lie on. Hang it up and don’t use it its fine. If you stay in a Sami or Lap Lavo and use the skins as they do for bedding the hair gets everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It’s all to do with climate, the air cells in the hair are so large and numerous that it makes the hair extremely fragile… extremely lucky if you get one that doesn’t shed hair!"

Hope that helps... probably not though... answers why the skins my two brother got years ago did the same though!

By the way isn't it a little perverse to give a reindeer skin at Christmas? Hey look I shot Rudolph :D

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
There is no way stopping the hairs...once the hide starts it will carry on making mess and I doubt there is any 'product' or 'trick' to stop it doing so.
I've had quite few hides in past..and they either do or don't shed. The best one we had hung on wall for yeeeeears....only receiving yearly 'raid' treatment against moths.
Because that hide was almost 'fresh' from the source..it was much superior quality to start with. We had antlers from the same animal too...still having full 'furry' coating, like velvet..and that never peeled off neither.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks for the comments and help, looks like it is something we have to put up with, he is not allowed it on his bed anymore thats for sure!

He took it out for a spin this weekend, we camped and he set up his new lavvu and the hide was extra warmth, did not seem to shed like in the house!!

"Something for the weekend sir?" Have not heard that since i was a boy! Brilliant!

Ivan...

Earwigjuice

Nov 17, 2022
Shropshire
I bought a hide from a charity shop. Couldn’t believe my luck. It had/has the shedding issue, possibly why it was in there! With nothing to lose I’ve done a bit of experimenting with brushes, hands, tape, hair spray and my suggestion is strong hoover….

If you just put the Henry straight on it you’ll probably pull the hair out, so I massaged my knuckles, stopping the hoover from locking on to the skin (hope that makes sense). This loosen the looser hair and sucked it out. I kept at it for about half and hour and it stopped releasing the hair. You’d think it would be bald after that length of time but I can not tell the difference. The hair is so thick it’s had no visual impact and now it’s not shedding.

My thinking - If it is going to shed no matter what, which is essentially what I have read. Then forcing the loose hair out means the only stronger hair survives. If you’ve got a hide that for whatever reason is doomed to full hair loss, then you’re probably going to find that out over time, so why not put yourself out of your misery in one go . If you’ve got with enough strong hair the you’re laughing.

If I was hanging this on a wall as an ornament I’d say it’s job done. I’m going to put it on a chair so I’d guess I’m going to have to do this a few more times.

Food for thought and if you hadn’t guessed, I’m no expert!! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE