A quick couple of nights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I managed to get a quick couple of nights out in the trees with a couple of mates - mostly the time was spent trying to find dry, non rotted wood to burn!
The fire was still a bit smokey but was a dryish camp and we had a good time catching up, cooking and trying various small project ideas - like the seat/gear rack.002.jpg003.jpg007.jpg009.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg
The weather was quite cold - dropping to Zero - but we managed to avoid too much rain.
It was just good to get out after the Xmas period and the almost continuous bad weather....

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I'm a bit envious John. I have been child minding this weekend and had 2 six year old girls running amok in and out of the house. It has been wonderful weather up here too with very little rain!

Glad you got out to play though:cool:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Nice one John, you to had the post christmas itch! Had to do it myself, weather was just as forecast too.

Hopefully my latest permission, is going to end up being a little like yours. It's a trust and respect thing, very difficult to achieve, but i think i am there with my new spot.

Ivan...

Oh yeah, gave the Fenna trousers a run out too, me and Skate, they are really great, just got to get used to no back pockets, still who needs a wallet in the woods?

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice one John, you to had the post christmas itch! Had to do it myself, weather was just as forecast too.

Hopefully my latest permission, is going to end up being a little like yours. It's a trust and respect thing, very difficult to achieve, but i think i am there with my new spot.

Ivan...
This was my "back up " permission - my main site has suffered in the storms and now has a "widow-maker" hanging over the dining table!
We will not be able to use that one until the landowner has cleared all the other fallen timber on site (much of it blocking access roads...) and removed the one over our pitch:(
It may take a while for him to find time ...

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Outstanding John, as always! I love all of the camp tables, chairs, drying racks and other gadgets lashed together for camp convenience. Those gadgets remind me of my BSA Wood Badge course practical that I did in 1990. Cheers!

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Nice one john.

Little envious. Looks like a nice break though. Looking forward to get out back to the woods :)

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thanks for sharing John. That chair looks fantastic, i like how the back has been done, looks very well done, was it notched and lashed or just lashed together?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for sharing John. That chair looks fantastic, i like how the back has been done, looks very well done, was it notched and lashed or just lashed together?

The chair was originally quite different - a low backed stool with a leather seat and back - and all the joints socketed, nailed, glued AND lashed.
When I decided to add the back it was just notched and lashed with the seat and back rods "sewn" on. The cut ends were soaked in candle wax to try and prevent water ingress but the thin rods (especially the sycamore ones) are starting to get brittle and over the weekend I managed to snap the front stringer. Luckily it was a step fracture and I lashed it back together...
Eventually the chair will need replacing but hopefully not for a couple of years :) It is already about 5 years old :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE