How to make non expensive char cloth?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Get a small tin with a hole in the lid, put a load of cotton or linen cloth in it, put the lid on and then chuck it on the fire.

Wait til the flame from the hole stops and take out of the fire. Open when cool and you should have a load of charcloth :)

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
I use old t-shirts my son has grown out of, just don't tell the wife!! I found his old baby vests to be the best! And then cook it up in a golden syrup tin.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Get a small tin with a hole in the lid, put a load of cotton or linen cloth in it, put the lid on and then chuck it on the fire.

Wait til the flame from the hole stops and take out of the fire. Open when cool and you should have a load of charcloth :)

What he said! :)

As for where to get it, old tea shirts, denim can be used although I've never tried it but any cotton or linen would work :).

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I have yet to try this method, but it sounds good.

Take a green stick and wrap your chosen material (usually 100% denim, no girlie stretch stuff) around the top like a burning torch.

Burn it in the fire and let it catch well.

Stick it in a hole in the ground and cover with soil. It should burn out after.......20mins?

The outside should be usable but dirty. The inner bits, even better. The centre will be brown and unburnt.

Worth a try.:)

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I thought that really thick canvas from the ships chandlers would be great (and free of charge for off cuts).

Made a batch and it would not take a spark. :(

Then the sensible adult in the house suggested it might be fire retardant!!!!!

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I use this stuff (it's cotton lashing tape):

It's absolutely perfect for me. I cut it into squares and char it in a tin. I know you're 'supposed' to have one, but I must admit mine doesn't have a hole in as I found that my char cloth had a tendency to fail (forming an ember and burning away while cooling). My tin just has a lid that sits on top and when the cloth stops producing smoke the lid creates a seal, allowing the newly charred cloth to cool.

I find this stuff takes the most measly of sparks and keeps an ember for ages. I can easily start a really successful fire with just a few inches of jute, bird-nested and a quarter of a square of the char cloth and I'm not very skilled at all.

Hope this helps. If you like I can send you a sample to try out? Ping me a PM if you want some. Ed

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389396405.237595.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389396405.237595.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 51

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I thought that really thick canvas from the ships chandlers would be great (and free of charge for off cuts).

Made a batch and it would not take a spark.

Then the sensible adult in the house suggested it might be fire retardant!!!!!

I watched a good friend, who shall remain nameless :rolleyes:, have that very same problem with a load of charcloth that they made at a meet :D

IIt's absolutely perfect for me. I cut it into squares and char it in a tin. I know you're 'supposed' to have one, but I must admit mine doesn't have a hole in as I found that my char cloth had a tendency to fail (forming an ember and burning away while cooling). My tin just has a lid that sits on top and when the cloth stops producing smoke the lid creates a seal, allowing the newly charred cloth to cool.

Did you not block the hole when you took it off to cool?

If not that might be why it carried on burning as it was able to get oxygen through the hole.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
:rofl: Took me a minute to figure what you were on about :)

The worst bit is Steve, that when she finally notices that the pan's boiling dry rather than cooling down she panics and moves it to the worktop, it lasted three days before the burn marks started appearing. Bless her :rolleyes:

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
buy a NEW 1liter paint can at a hardware store.
poke a tiny hole in the lid with a nail.
tear up an old tshirt(cotton) or pieces of denim.
put them inside and seal the lid.
put it on campfire. keep an eye on the hole in the can.
when the white smoke stops coming out, remove from fire and cover hole with a coin.
do not open the can until COMPLETELY cooled.
works for me. :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I use new dusters
£1 for 5 or 10 depending on where you get them from
The fibers are very thin so take a spark very well

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I've got an old supply of triangular bandages and they work well in my mini milk churn char burner. I am going to be making some this week and I'll do a video.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I use new dusters
£1 for 5 or 10 depending on where you get them from
The fibers are very thin so take a spark very well

Agree with above, they make the best char cloth. I use a small metal sugar or coffee caddy, with a push on lid, little hole in top. Cook it off until the whole seals. Tear and share once cool lol

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE