Birch tar/oil possible fuel ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, y'know....mankind's the cooking ape, the fire using ape. Learning how to make fuel, light, etc., is kind of hardwired into our genes.
If the trees are down anyway, then there's fuel and bark and potential all just sitting there.
I'd play with it :D
Being nosey and wanting to know how is also hardwired into our genes :D

M

Exact same thing can be said for burning petrol; just plant a tree to offset the CO2 from the burn, and you are good to go. After all, both fuels were produced from organic matter. One was done by the earth over thousands of years through compression and decay, the other by a person extracting it directly from the tree.

As pointed out we are off topic, but my ideology is to gather the resource in a sustainable manner, i.e. plant 30 trees (given that the tree grows to a desired size in 30 years, so a fast growing tree like birch), plus one each year after the 30 years and harvest one tree each year. Each of the trees have the same amount of carbon in them and therefore act as a carbon sink taking the C02 back from the atmosphere and into the tree. It is a much quicker process than the analogy of petrol.

It's is worth mentioning that I am not condoning the plans that have been proposed by Owen Patterson to create offsetting from our ancient woodlands. This is because of the obvious reason of the interfere with other species which are dependent upon and form a symbiotic relationship with ancient woodlands.

However as Skaukraft has pointed out it would require a fire to extract the oil so the process of extraction would cause further C02. But I'm sure nearly all of the people on this thread sit around fires, so it would just be a case of placing the tins on a fire the next time a reason to light a fire arises.

I hope one day I have enough land to plant enough tress, possibly ash trees (although ash die-back is now springing to mind!), so that I can carry out this principle myself in order to harvest fire wood.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good point :D

Not a clue :dunno:

That said, white birch is used for the birch oil that is sold to clinical aromatherapists, and I have no idea why it is preferred over the other varieties. Is it somehow 'cleaner' ?
Maybe John Fenna might know ? he's one.

It's almost all silver birch around here, so though I know what I get from them re sap and bark, etc., I have nothing to compare them to.

Interesting topic and thread :D

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good point :D

Not a clue :dunno:

That said, white birch is used for the birch oil that is sold to clinical aromatherapists, and I have no idea why it is preferred over the other varieties. Is it somehow 'cleaner' ?
Maybe John Fenna might know ? he's one.

It's almost all silver birch around here, so though I know what I get from them re sap and bark, etc., I have nothing to compare them to.

Interesting topic and thread :D

M

Sorry - I am clueless too - and none of my books help!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE