Birch tar/oil possible fuel ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 6, 2012
knottingley
Hi folks iv been looking around the net but cannot find a good answer so here goes . I'm wondering if I made a birch bark container and put birch tar/oil and a length of jute rope for a wick would i be able to create some form of Eco lamp carbon footprint free ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The soot is unbelievable :sigh: I don't know if it would wick safely either or if it'd just take off and set fire to the entire surface of the tar.
It's also fairly expensive to buy, and labour and fuel intensive to make, so.....I think :dunno:

I can only think that if it were good then why the hang did folks go to all the bother of hunting whales for oil for lamps?

Interested to hear how you get on with it though if you do decide to try it :)

atb,
M

May 6, 2012
knottingley
I think its worth a shot seen a vid on YouTube where a guy used fungus as the container and he seemed to get fairly good results from it . As for procuring the tar/oil never done it myself but it seams fairly straight forward from what iv seen

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What fungus did he use ?
We routinely get over three, and often well over four hours burn time from a fomes one.

I don't know, I haven't tried it with oil, but I have half a dozen big fomes sitting and a few of the piptoporus too. I also have about 300ml of birch tar, somewhere.

Tell you what....you try it and let us know how you get on :D All I can see is that black soot when I spilled some into hot coals :eek:

The oil's a footer to do in reality. It works very well, but it's really only worth the bother if you pack the tin really full of bark. That said, it's sometimes surprising just how much tar you get from it :)

It's all good stuff :) and it's pretty neat to do it too.

cheers,
Toddy

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm not sure about the lamp, but I've made my own birch tar oil before, great fun, worked great, wonderful smell too! :) I did the method with the two containers, there is a tutorial on here somewhere :).

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
didn't the Russians make a lot of the stuff during the war? I've got 'Russian Oil' in mind head from somewhere and I'm sure it was distilled and used in place of motor oil or diesel. Could be remembering something else of course! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know of Russian oil as another name for Birch tar, but I didn't know that they refined it. We learn something everyday :)

I have white birch essential oil that is very pure, but it would still not be a clean burn. The smell is great outdoors though :)

cheers,
M

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
"Russian Petroleum" or Birch oil was issued to the British army prior to WW1 as a rifle lubricant, and I have come across a WW2 German rifle cleaning kit that still had some in the oil bottle.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye, when the tree grows :) and that'll take years.

The stuff stinks when it burns and making it not only needs fuel, but it gives off a heck of a lot of pollution as it burns. Rectifying or distilling it afterwards takes more fuel and is even more polluting.

I reckon that if a fuel oil was made from it then it was because it was all that they had. Any vegetable oil would be much more environmentally friendly.

I'm not saying it's not interesting, or not worth learning to do; just that I really question it's eco-footprint stuff.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I reckon it'll work :)
I reckon it'll burn black and sooty as the earl of hell's riding boots, but it'll burn and give off light.

I'm pretty sure that if you put it into a slightly hollowed out fomes then it'll burn very well indeed :D

and, I'm looking forward to the photos :D

cheers,
M

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
And how would you extract the oil? Asking it to leave the tree in a non-energy-consuming manner?
As far as i know the most common way to extract birch oil in larger quantities is by steam destilation.
But no matter which method you use it will demand the use of energy. The part of the plant that contains most oil is the leaf buds in the spring.
You could maybe squeese the oil out of the buds the same way they make olive oil. But My guess it would be very labour intensive and time consuming. Just to gather enough buds to extract any usable amount of oil would take ages....
Absolutely a interesting project, but I think I would forgett the eco-friendly low footprint part of it, as I belive the bottom line would end up negative on the hydrocarbon side.

rg598

Native
However if you carry out carbon offsetting by planting another tree it creates a carbon sink and therefore removes carbon monoxide from the atmosphere.

Ste

Exact same thing can be said for burning petrol; just plant a tree to offset the CO2 from the burn, and you are good to go. After all, both fuels were produced from organic matter. One was done by the earth over thousands of years through compression and decay, the other by a person extracting it directly from the tree.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE