A TV Gardening Treat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I noticed yesterday that one of my favourite TV series is now available on Youtube. I thought it might interest "Tommy the Cat" and others who, like me, enjoy growing their own food.

The series is "The Victorian Kitchen Garden" and looks at the running of a walled garden for a great house. It was explained by a man who I have come to respect - Harry Dodson - one of the last proper "head gardeners". One half hour episode was filmed for each month making a total of 12 covering the activities and techniques needed to keep a steady supply of fruit and veg.

The clothing and fliming reflects that this was filmed in the 80s - and is better for it

[video=youtube;sOF49wIxDrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOF49wIxDrA[/video]

Enjoy if you are a member of the dirty fingernail club

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We've got the Kitchen Garden and other related series on DVD. A nice walled garden is one of the many future projects on my list.:cool:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me too (actually I think someone here suggested them to me!) :) BB wants a walled garden too - I'm certainly coming around to the idea - I want their glass houses and hot frames very badly

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ooooh gonna have a look at BR thanks.... Not been on here too much but my good Friend Falcon said you had mentioned something that might be of interest..
In a gardening note I've got sweet peas still flowering, you're beans germinated, morrisons lettuces in the greenhouse doing really well and just a fee weeks ago I cooked my first home grown beetroot!! They warred lovely got a few jars picked as I like them but H likes them fresh so not gone overboard. Still makes me smile going out to greenhouse with a head torch in the dark to cut lettuce for me veggie burger!!
D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds great Dave - hope you enjoy it

I've been manuring up my beds this week - just leave it on top and the rain and frost will break it up over Winter - especially important on the Rhubarb

Take care - shout if you need more beans

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks BR.
Beans I kept my own seed thanks 😄
Your parsnip seeds went to Italy last week... my friend has a little place there and he took it for a few friends to grow out there... They don't do parsnips in Italy??
Need to muck up myself as well as divide up the rhubarb!!!
Problem is finding a time when the grounds not got anything in it!!
Atb for the festive season buddy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a busy old time for sure - I was hoeing around the fruit trees and fertilising with fish blood and bone today.

If I recall you had an overgrown fruit tree you wanted to prune back to life? Now is the time bud

Hope you and yours have a great time too!

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Fantastic series, really enjoyed it. Having watched it it's got me thinking about the books that the (Victorian walled) gardener would have consulted at the time-any ideas?

Many thanks, joab

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Its a busy old time for sure - I was hoeing around the fruit trees and fertilising with fish blood and bone today.

If I recall you had an overgrown fruit tree you wanted to prune back to life? Now is the time bud

Hope you and yours have a great time too!
Yep the pear I'm gonna leave as I reckon it's too far gone. The apple a buddy of mine is gonna come and show me what to do...I've watched a couple of episodes of the series and really enjoyed it.
I think I'm going to look at prepping more beds as I dont seem to have enough room to grow all that I want!!

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
In the last year I've been able to pick up virtually all the VKG and Geoff Hamilton's 'Cottage Gardens' and 'Ornamental Kitchen Garden' books from charity shops for just a couple of pounds each - it's well worth keeping a eye out for them.

Harry Dodson also bought out a book which covered growing produce more than the one which accompanied the series, called 'Harry Dodson's Practical Kitchen Garden - A personal guide to growing vegetables and fruit'. A fantastic book which also gives you more info on the man himself - a great bloke.

Jennifer Davies authored several BBC books on VKG and subsequent series - the 'Wartime Kitchen and Garden' in particular is excellent!

And for any budding growers who have just made a New Year's Resolution to start growing their own this year - a copy of GH's book called 'Gardener's World Practical Gardening Course' will start you off on the right foot.

Like a few others on here I run an allotment and there is nothing like growing your own to supplement your foraging! I've also decided to take a more 'Tudor' approach to my weeds this year!!

All the best to all - wishing you all a prolific 2014!

Bob:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE