Bergen question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
One thing to add on the MOLLE aspect is weight - I have a MOLLE covered back pack and I wonder how much extra weight is added by all the MOLLE. I have a similar sized pack without MOLLE and it weighs a kilo less!!

This is a heavy rucksack anyway to be honest. The molle will probably add some weight, but it's not a massive area that is covered by it, so i expect the weight gain to be minimal. I know what you mean about molle though- i find it a bit of an unnecessary addition in most instances- that adds weight as well as compromising a fabrics strength and waterproofness.

mutineer

Apr 30, 2013
Hampshire
Cheers all. My gut instinct was the karrimor 60-100 or the saracen. The weight of the saracen is a bit off putting but both bags seem really good. The karrimor looks good because I could use it as a large leaders daysack for d of e as well as a monster for longer expeds. The saracen does have a lot of bells and whistles though!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Cheers all. My gut instinct was the karrimor 60-100 or the saracen. The weight of the saracen is a bit off putting but both bags seem really good. The karrimor looks good because I could use it as a large leaders daysack for d of e as well as a monster for longer expeds. The saracen does have a lot of bells and whistles though!

So, did you buy one in the end? If so, what are your first impressions?!

Jul 30, 2013
Neath, South Wales
Might be a bit late for this but oh well here goes:

I've always gone Lowe Alpine, everyone i lead with goes Lowe Alpine, if you want a decent back system then the TFX series really is bomb-proof, plus you can get them in 80-90L sizes with plenty of stowage points on the exterior (since they are mountaineering packs technically)

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I can't believe there's only one mention of the Berghaus Vulcan in this thread !

Isn't it the obvious choice when looking for a more comfortable alternative to the PLCE bergen ?????

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
Hi all.
I am looking for a rucksack. I own a Berghaus civilian mountaineer type rucksack which is great but I want something bigger and capable of carrying axes poles etc on the outside.
I am ex army and I love the issue bergen except for the back system.

Basically, I would like an issue bergen with a decent back/waist system and stash pockets on the side for when rocket pouches are not attached or for poles/axe.

Which is the closest match?

Having looked at the Karrimor60-100, Lowe Alpine saracen and Berghaus version I am still not sure which is the closest match. It is hard to know what the sizes actually are. I like the look of the Karrimor but the conversion to 100l with a zip just looks plain odd.

what are your thoughts guys?

Nick

How much are you looking to spend? What sort of trip are you doing regularly? Overnights or expeditions?

I had a Lowe Alpine Stingray once.

Great pack, solid construction, but the waistbelt didn't fit me, which made me look at getting something more "custom".

Regret selling the Lowe Alpine, partial trade for a pair of rock climbing shoes and equivalent of 10 pounds.

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
Hi Nick,
I've just seen this thread, and as others suggest the Lowe Alpine Sting is great, as is the Berghaus Vulcan.
I use both of these for my outdoor activities, both are used by the Dutch Army.
I have in my possession 14 Vulcan's in varying grades from as new to grade 2.
I did have some Stings to, but they all went.
I also have 2 British Army short back Bergens, one of which has the side pockets.

If you want any more info get in touch.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Look on other sites too, you will find sectors of members over focused on certain things so try other sources for a more balanced view and then take your pick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE