Keeping wood "green"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Hi all

Salavged some really nice bits of wood from the forest floor today, but won't be able to work on them for a few days. Is there an easy way to keep them from drying without them festering?

I'm sure I read a similar thread on this not so long ago, so if anybody wants to just direct me there that'd be grand :D

Thanks

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A few days left outside o the floor won't make any difference, you can seal the ends with paint to slow down the drying process

Viktor

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
If it's just for a few days keep it outside or in a cold place and you don't need to seal the ends. Only reason to seal the end is when you when drying the wood and want to prevent ends from cracking.
Another way to keep it "green" is to store it in a plastic bag so you give it a micro climate, this way you can lower or rise the water content easily.

edit: forgot to say if you leave it outside don't lay it directly on the ground, put something under so air can flow around it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE