What is your favourite UK legal carry bushcraft knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 18, 2006
somerset uk
victorinox swiss champ it has lots of blades saws screwdrivers and things very useful penknife

I have a american camilus boy scout knife which I like as well

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Svord Peasant for me... I got an early one in wood and it appears to be better made than more recent ones from what I read...
I did mod it slightly to get is sub 3".

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
I love my SAK Hiker. Really didn't expect to ever need scissors or a corkscrew, and so far I haven't been wrong about that.

For your 'camp activities' prerequisite, basically any SAK with the saw on it. They are VICIOUS, can generall rip it through anything in no time at all. I've cut through branches thicker than the length of the blade itself with surprising accuracy and speed (although it was murder on my shoulder)- I've even used it to cut tenon joints that were too small for the tenon saw I have.

As others have pointed out, don't use SAK blades for anything where you're using the tip. Nearly lost a whole fingernail when the smaller whittling blade folded on it, cut through the nail like butter.

Last edited:

Robin DuBois

Apr 29, 2013
nfa

Here is my 1951 A.B.L. Colasse Royal Navy Knife. a cheap as chips knife that was made in 1951 and was new till it was sold to me for 7.99 gbp. Nothing locks or is over 3 inch, so it is totally legal, and does me very well for cutting rope and tape, and small cutting tasks with wood, though I would normally use something more dedicated for that purpose. The spike is for unravelling knots and is great for that, as well as levering, and punching holes when turning an oil drum into a rocket stove. the can opener is the old school type that does the same thing as in popeye. I prefer it to any other method of opening a tin of beans. surplusandoutdoors.com don't seem to have them any more, but they do turn up used on market stalls.

looking badly used right now, theres no stainless steel here, but there is bakelite! which is strange stuff, can literally cook off in your pocket. I don't have any wet and dry with me to tidy it up.

Another point for it being an EDC knife, is self defence. i'd never choose to open a blade up in self defence, that would be stupid, but as a handful of steel i like having it with me when walking the dangerous streets i'm currently living in, as a legal carry knife, I always can have it with me. I've been searched by coppers who have handed it back to me before, no problem. I like that it looks like what it is, a legit tool, that i use at work and for daily needs.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset

Here is my 1951 A.B.L. Colasse Royal Navy Knife. a cheap as chips knife that was made in 1951 and was new till it was sold to me for 7.99 gbp. Nothing locks or is over 3 inch, so it is totally legal, and does me very well for cutting rope and tape, and small cutting tasks with wood, though I would normally use something more dedicated for that purpose. The spike is for unravelling knots and is great for that, as well as levering, and punching holes when turning an oil drum into a rocket stove. the can opener is the old school type that does the same thing as in popeye. I prefer it to any other method of opening a tin of beans. surplusandoutdoors.com don't seem to have them any more, but they do turn up used on market stalls.

I've got the exact same knife, fantastic for the money. I bought one of the newer Sheffield made ones and it isn't a patch on the above. I must admit that I thought they are army no navy issue as I thought the navy ones were stainless steel.
Just had a look on the Surplus and Outdoors website and they do still have them in stock :)

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Hi Ecoman, glad you like my Shing Raven, and if you are looking for a super strong UK legal slippy then Shing is your man.
The backspring and build on these is on another level, not built to my specs but one of a range that Shing does.
I'm sure he will build one to your liking, mine has a D2 blade and all stainless fittings and liners which makes it quite a heavy knife, but i don't mind that.
Not cheap and a bit of a wait, but a definitely a knife for life, so buy once, cry once.
Fully strippable for cleaning and maintenance as well, no connections etc. just a happy customer.
Link to Shings goodies

http://www.shingcrafts.com/

Its good to know they are being used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE