A day in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Had a half day at work so snatched a couple of hours in the local woods. These woods are quite small and is sandwiched between the M25 and the railway line so has a constant hum of traffic. The woods are criss crossed with paths and is popular with dog walkers so solitude is not really possible but it will do for a few hours of Bushcrafting:)

On the walk in I spotted a recently wind blown tree, an Ash(edit: not Ash but Horse Chestnut).

That will do for a bit of whittling so I set about cutting a couple of bits to make a bowl and cup...

A bit further on I came to my camp, well it was someone else's that I found but I am adding to it as a work in progress starting with a debris roof. It's not supposed to be watertight really as the shelter is really to give a bit of privacy as there is a path 30 yards to the rear. Actually your never less than 50 or so yards from a path...

The view from the shelter...

After adding a bit of debris to the roof I set about hacking at my liberated timber with these tools....

I started on the cup or Kuska and got it to a roughed out form. I started to get a sore patch on my palm from the spoon knife so left that and started on the bowl. I got it to a very rough form with the axe.

I was starting to get hungry so on to lunch which consisted of my current favorite camp grub...

Rice and Chorizo with veggies:cool: Easy to cook and even easier to gobble down!

My cook kit...

So on to lunch, first chop the meat on a dirty knee, wood chippings optional...

Fry in it's own oil for a couple of minutes till it goes almost crispy...

Add the formerly frozen veg, I'm liking mixed peppers and peas, and heat through....

Add the rice-a whole pack fits in the Titan kettle lovely!!

Add water to keep things moist and to help steam...

Add spices to taste. I used here salt, pepper, steak seasoning, mixed herbs and paprika...

Finished meal...

Put into the pot cozy to keep warm while I put a brew on...

And stuff ones face, om nom nom nom:D It gets tastier the further down you go until:(....

I didn't get a chance to practice my fire lighting as it got dark so packed all my kit in the old 37 pattern pack....

...and cleared up and set off for civilization but while on the way taking pot shots at random cider cans and plastic bottles that seem to be sprouting early this year with me catty;)

Steve

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Well the tree turned out to be Horse Chestnut...

Went back today and spent another few hours improving the shelter and whittling. Had a nice visit from a Labrador who snaffled some sausage I had in my pack:)
I seem to have dropped one of my new Opinel knives :( so will have to organize a search and rescue mission for tomorrow:D

The catty I'm using at the moment is one of my natural forks with single bands. I'm using 10mm lead balls and it seems a good combo for can bashing...

The bowl and cup are coming on great and the axe has made easy work of bulk wood removal so may get almost finished pics tomorrow?

Steve

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I went back again today but as it was raining didn't do much apart from adding to the shelter. It's coming on grand and seems to be keeping off the worst of the rain as the ground inside was pretty dry!
I found my lost knife but it had swelled up and could not open it!
My friend came around again as well but I had no food on me this time, it wouldn't keep still for a photo...

Steve

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Looks like you had a great day,i normally pop those uncle bens in a microwave at work,,mmmmm.
great photos.:)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like a great day out.

I did something similar today, but the main activity seemed to be rescuing the dog from swollen streams that he fell into whilst trying to cross :rolleyes:. Dozy animal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE