GPS Fever!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Well, after some consideration and some finacial commitment, I invested in 2 new GPS units!
I have been wanting a Geko 201 for the lightweight, small size and WAAS feature to improve accuracy over my older ETrex basic, non-WAAS model. So, I ordered one and just recieved it today. I was impressed with the tiny size and feather weight of the thing. One feature I don't care for is you have to do a waypoint "mark" to get your present location. I may just need to play with the setup menu more to overcome that. It does sort of force you into actually navigating with it. That was something I have never done, just used the location feature to verify my location.
Number 2 unit is a Garmin GPSMap60C. I looked at a friend's 60CS and loved all the features and the color display. It was not one I had considered before due to the weight and size, although it is just 7 ounces. The antenna is way better than a patch type and the features are mind boggling. That one will surely take some training to realize all the capabilities and utilize them efficiently.
I never go out without my trusty old Silva Ranger, a map and some plotters and still prefer to rely on the old fashioned method of navigation. It has no battery dependecies! I sure like where GPS has evolved in the past 10 years. My next vehicle will have one even though I have never considered it before. The problem is, I will not need another vehicle for a long time. The Map60C will be my nav tool for the road until then.
Just thought I would share my overspending with you all :)

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Sounds good...i use a Garmin Etrex Legend (the blue one) and have been very happy with that one. The only downside i have with it, and its my own fault, i chose to buy the legend based on a mixture of its features and my budget. What i should have done is spend a bit more money and buy the next version up (the Etrex Summit i think) which includes a digital compass.

That aside i always take my map and compass, and the one golden rule i have reference GPS batteries is... always take a spare set and NEVER use them for anything but the GPS.

Pete

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
peds8045 said:
That aside i always take my map and compass, and the one golden rule i have reference GPS batteries is... always take a spare set and NEVER use them for anything but the GPS.

Pete

I don't own a GPS (yet) and I am as interested in technology (despite the impression I might give sometimes) as the next person. But I have a "genuine question"...

If you own a map and compass (and can use them) what do you gain from having a GPS?

:)

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
I having been looking for awhile now but cannot work out if it is worth paying extra for mapping, if anyone has used both map and non map GPS it would be great to hear is the map is worth it.

Is colour mapping better? :confused:

I looking to use the GPS for tree surveying, the etrax Vista has a feature which can calculate the the area but then the price for the extra feature is very high compared to summit.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
redflex said:
I looking to use the GPS for tree surveying, the etrax Vista has a feature which can calculate the the area but then the price for the extra feature is very high compared to summit.

... haven't tried it, but the legend has area calculation

My wife got mine here .

Surveyor

Sep 28, 2005
London
Stovie,
The GPS is good at one thing only - telling you where you are!
The map and compass, are the essentials.

Jed

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
peds8045 said:
Sounds good...i use a Garmin Etrex Legend (the blue one) and have been very happy with that one. The only downside i have with it, and its my own fault, i chose to buy the legend based on a mixture of its features and my budget. What i should have done is spend a bit more money and buy the next version up (the Etrex Summit i think) which includes a digital compass.

Pete
My E-trex Legend has a digital compass. :D Maybe a later model?? :27:

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
The most important piece of equipment to take along woith either map/compass or GPS is THE BRAIN! ;)
And also the ability not to blame anyone but oneself if something goes wrong :banghead:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
So, the Garmin GPSMAP60C that I ordered turned out on backorder:( After a few days consideration, I decided to call the place I ordered it from and change to a GPSMAP60Cx which is the brand new baby with removable MicroSD memory. It comes with a 64MB card but I am going to order a 256 for $40 US so I will quadruple the amount of maps I can load into it. I should get the GPS unit by Monday and it shipped already, for sure! I will let everyone know how it is when I get it and play with it a bit. BTY, since I first bought a GPS in 1991, I have only used the "where am I" function and still prefer to navigate via map and Silva compass. I am going to finally try out the nav by GPS realm and learn how to use all the bells and whistles. I will still always be a map and compass person but now will include the GPS into the nav. I have too, it cost me a bunch :)Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE