Some very talented DIY people here...but spoons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I like carving a spoon to kill time, it good for my head, theres always a few hours when everything is set up, fires going
dinner is inside you, just use a book too put me too sleep, carving is a nice productive way you can fill the hours will
remaining social if you have company, tho to be honest the products of my work are pretty bad. Horses for courses
some guys like using flint and steel when they have a lighter in there pocket, never understood the fascination with
all that primitive fire malarkey, but its all about what makes you happy, id never knock anyone for it, bushcraft
has freedom at its core, so aslong as its not disrupting anyone do what you like in my book.
Interesting initial post, never thought of it as a british trait, we are a strange old bunch granted, I enjoy the fact
we have weird little traditions tho:D

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I realise that this is quite an old thread, but I feel like adding something to the great words from the carvers across the UK.

Having recently started greenwood carving, I must say it's a very rewarding experience, if at times a little challenging. I read from numerous sources that spoons were an ideal starter project as they teach you many things about wood and how to use your knife properly. I've made two spoons and a spatula and in this time I've learned about wood selection, become comfortable with my new Gransfor's axe and other tools, learnt how the wood reacts and how to sand and oil for the finished look. All in all, a spoon is just the starting point that leads you down the path of woodcraft, greenwood carving or whatever you want to call it. There's something so rewarding about carving your first spoon, even if it's not very good. You have your three tools, your general carving knife, axe and spoon knife, and by the time you've finished the spoon these tools feel like extensions of your own being. You are the one that carved that spoon and there's nothing like it, it's unique. I often listen to music when I'm carving or sanding and it's the most relaxing thing. A spoon to me, however odd it sounds, will now always be a symbol of taking my first steps in woodcraft as a whole broad subject. It really is something to make your wooden utensils and I feel like I've taken the first step to becoming a "maker", a craftsmen in some small way.

I'm actually going to make another spoon very soon with the other blank that I have left. The good thing about carving a spoon is that it sets you up for bigger projects such as bowls and you feel ready for it. And, of course, if you can make a spoon and perhaps a bowl you can make anything from the smallest trinket to the most elaborate project, just like Samon said.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Exactly, and a spoon is most likely how people start to carve.

Nope... first thing I carved was a lot of wood shavings.

I was very proud of my wood shavings, they were nice and curly and some were very fine indeed. Only whene I'd mastered the art of carving wood shavings did I move on to more complicated things like spoons :rolleyes:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

I was very proud of my wood shavings, they were nice and curly and some were very fine indeed. Only whene I'd mastered the art of carving wood shavings did I move on to more complicated things like spoons :rolleyes:

Carving a minkepinn is a lovely thing to make.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Personally, first things I carved were notches for Fig-4 dead-drop traps... but that's hardly a craftsman's project!

I really enjoy making spoons (hell, I enjoy making anything out of wood really).
Spoons are a great gift (especially if you put in the effort to make them neat and sand them up smooth), and reasonably quick to make. I was sat in the woods last night (at 2AM) carving two spoons in front of the fire... both of them as gifts for friends.

As others have said, it's a great way to teach some basic knife skills... but I think more importantly, it's a rewarding way to teach some basic knife skills. The student gets something tangible out of it that they can actually use. A great motivation is also the "you can't eat any dinner until you've made a spoon to eat it with" ;)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria

Same here really, the first ever thing I did was just whittle sticks and make little shavings etc, it was a while before I tried spoons :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE