Looking to get a one man "solo" type tent.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CelticRoots

May 4, 2013
Rednal, Worcestershire
Hi Guys,

As th title suggests I am looking at getting a small one man tent for wild camping and such.

I've been looking at the Gelert Solo and Highlander Blackthorn in particular as my budget is tight "£30".

Do any of you have experience with these at all, or any feedback / reviews?

Anything in way of advice or recounts of experiences would be much appreciated.

I'm also open if anyone has one in good nick they want to sell on to a new home.

Many thanks in advance :)
Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Regards, Ben.

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
The Gelert Solo ( often referred to as the coffin) is a pretty good tent for the money. I have one and a friend of mine regularly uses his.
It's pretty light weight and compact and easy and quick to pitch. The downside is the size though. If your over 6 foot then you may struggle and you won't have any room for kit either.
Some people pitch a micro tarp over the door area for storage and room to make a brew.
The latest models have a slightly better venting system to reduce any condensation too.

You need to bear in mind that almost all tents are a little exaggerated on the sizes. One man is just that, a two man is a more manageable solo tent IMO and two people would need to be on intimate terms.

Good luck with your hunting.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My mate also has one, it stood up to some horrific winds at Angle Tarn once, the £500 Terra Novas were all smashed in the morning but his stood up fine.

Like Bucephalas says, there's no room for anything else apart from lying down and sleeping in it, a tarp would be useful

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The Argos tiger paw tents would suit your needs and budget. Not sure if they are still on sale, if not maybe ebay?

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I have a Gelert Solo, used it once and hated it. There wasnt enough room to be comfortable and there wasnt any room for my rucksack. The tent itself worked okay but they really arent for me.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I got a Coleman Bedrock 2 myself, i had originally looked at the Gelert Solo but the Bedrock 2 was only £7 more so seemed like a good step up, used it a stupid amount of times before i started hammocking, still use it now and again.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I got the alpkit delta, whilst it has issues, a baggy inner being 1, that I solved by using the extra strap with an over hand knot which pulls more shape into tent. I used it in May this year at Llyn Caseg Fraith. We had sustained winds of 30 mph and gusts up to 50mph at least, the tent stood up to this battering better than I expected for a lightweight tent. When you consider they are / were selling them for £60 it was a real bargain. However, it's not big enough for myself and my son plus gear, but for solo use it's ideal. I aim to get a trailstar for use from now on, as I am definitely a gear hound!

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Get a two man tent, one man are pretty much a coffin to sleep in.

+1 Agreed, I tried out the Hi Gear Soloista, which for the price is an excellent piece of kit, easy to put up and very stable in windy conditions. But just not enough room for me and for the first time in my life I felt a little claustrophobic.

Ah well, another excuse to buy another tent! Looking to get a Vango Banshee 200 now.

Cheers
Steve

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
about3 times your budget i know, but i used this for 3 months of hitching and sealth camping in the US a few years back and found it great for the money. and it weighs just over 1kilo.

418KJ3XK66L._SX385_.jpg

Eureka! Solitaire Tent

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
Interesting thread! I was looking for a tunnel type tent for trekking in the woods with my gundog and thought a 1 man tent was ok, but I learnt here that it will indeed too small for the 2 of us and some gear. I heard alot of good of Gelert tents and they're also within a budget, considering that I will use it few times per year. I did not choose the mongoose and instead I went for the dolomite. Anyone has experience with it? cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE