Spalted wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Today I chopped down a dead tree with the intention of giving the rounds to my sister for her log burner. It was only after I had chopped it all up that I realized that the wood had a rather nice figuring and I think the term is spalted?

Before I burn these rounds are they worth anything to the wood workers here?

Steve

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
No it has not gone punky, seems pretty solid.

I have no clue as to the wood but think It may have been a fruit tree of some sort as it was in the middle of the garden of the house I was working in today? It was pretty much a standing dead tree.

Steve

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The piece I recovered for this was punky so I had it stabilised. Spalted wood is dead and biodegrading. This is crosscut beech
seans023.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Good for knife handles once stabilised. The spalting is a weak area, so it breaks/cracks easily if not stabilised.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Problem is always the postage costs

I burn lovely spalted wood all the time - and regularly burn huge burls too - no-one wants them round here

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll try and chop some up and take a picture :) Its been sat on the floor in the wet where I chucked it so might need drying

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE