Potential New Bushcraft / Wild Camping destination, feed back please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like a stunning part of the world. Would be great to visit if you manage to put something together.

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
Looks like a great place, I would certainly be interested. As for facility's, access to a loo would be nice, a standpipe would be nice but not essential and the ability to have an open fire would be nice but not essential.
Game prep would be good, as would the canoeing and fishing.

I would definitely be interested in spending some time there in exchange for my thoughts, ideas and reviews.

From a bushcraft perspective, a composting toilet / latrine, water source and area for a fire are basics. Woodland for bivvys and hammocks are good, and opportunities for wildlife watching and exploration are a definite bonus.

Neil

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Looks like a stunning location, and a wonderful way to manage an estate like this pity more are not treated like this.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I don't think that would be too far for me, and also looks like a beautiful estate. I'd say firewood, access to green wood for carving and places to be able to light a fire would be pretty important. I'd love to come down there and have a look if possible. :)

Sound like a great place and I'd definitely be interested in it should it work out.
Like others have said firewood, green wood and to be able to light a fire would be on my list.
But solitude (ie smaller groups) , short notice access (along the lines of "Looks like it could be good weather at the weekend, can I pop over?) and regular meets (say first weekend of each month), would also be nice.
As for pricing, I guess that would depend on the facilities, but I would be happy with a nominal fee for a day ticket (no camping), slightly more for a single night, and possibly something along the lines of "3 nights for price of 2" offer for long weekends
:)

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Some excellent feedback, thank you for all your input and messages.

I don't think there should be any problem providing the main features you have all put forward, fire, fuel, greenwood etc. Availability could be flexible but I am pretty sure supervision will be a requirement and I am certain a regular meet up can be arranged, perhaps monthly?

In the interests of the habitat itself numbers will have to be limited and group sizes kept small, maybe larger groups allowed at the monthly meets.

Setting this up is something I am keen to do but it must, obviously, make financial sense for the estate. They already allow free access to all sorts of good causes, universities, a forest school, local school groups etc.

With that in mind what would you consider paying for;

a) an overnighter

b) a day

c) a weekend

I have a meeting with the boss tomorrow to discuss this and set up some prices and guidelines. In the morning I will add some pictures we took in the woods while looking at potentially suitable sites, I would have put them on now but just realised that the camera is in the office still - bugger!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)

I don't think there should be any problem providing the main features you have all put forward, fire, fuel, greenwood etc. Availability could be flexible but I am pretty sure supervision will be a requirement and I am certain a regular meet up can be arranged, perhaps monthly?

In the interests of the habitat itself numbers will have to be limited and group sizes kept small, maybe larger groups allowed at the monthly meets.

Setting this up is something I am keen to do but it must, obviously, make financial sense for the estate. They already allow free access to all sorts of good causes, universities, a forest school, local school groups etc.

a) an overnighter

b) a day

c) a weekend

I have a meeting with the boss tomorrow to discuss this and set up some prices and guidelines. In the morning I will add some pictures we took in the woods while looking at potentially suitable sites, I would have put them on now but just realised that the camera is in the office still - bugger!
Looking forward to seeing the pictures and I hope the estate prospers with the new activity. If all goes well, I'd hope to camp overnight maybe every weekend at best.

Nice pictures, certainly is a lovely looking place.
Just another thought; although I can understand you wanting to ensure the place is used carefully and sensitively, leaving it undamaged for others etc., it may become difficult, time consuming, or uneconomical to constantly chaperone the Bushcrafters. Perhaps an idea would be to start out with accompanied use, then as confidence in the users builds and you get to know us better, some sort of licence could be issued to responsible individuals who would be allowed unaccompanied access within certain limits.

As to the costs, as I said earlier it is quite difficult to gauge and would depend on facilities etc. However, I know other woodland owners on here have occasionally offered use of a site with no facilities (everything has to be carried in, and back out again) for something like £5 per person for a Friday night to Sunday afternoon stay. I also know that camp sites in and around the South East and New Forest charge between £5 and £15 per pitch per night (usually 2 person) for a basic grass pitch with basic facilities (stand pipe for water, drains and bins for waste, toilet).

Hope that helps

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

a) an overnighter

b) a day

c) a weekend

Just seen the pictures and it looks like you've got a site with a lot of potential. I'll be watching this to see how it progresses :)

As for costs... most of the bushcraft meets usually charge around £5 per person per night but it does depend on the facilities that are available on the site.

Just a query what's the access like for the area you're thinking of suggesting to use, can cars park near by or would it be a trek in?

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Maybe I have misjudged the market for this, at those prices it simply isn't possible. There is nothing to be gained by us trying to complete on price with a simple grass pitch campsite when what we have to offer is unique, certainly in the South of England.

There are plenty of campsites offering a range of facilities, in our area the prices vary between £5 and £15 per person per night. I know this because we have done the market research as part of setting up our own accommodation.

That is a totally different enterprise though and not what I am asking about here.

What we had in mind was an exclusive, guided experience tailored to suit individual groups with access to a unique environment and fascinating wildlife. That obviously comes with a premium price and seeing the amount of money being spent on equipment I thought there would be a market.

If anyone is interested in that kind of thing I would love to hear from you.

In the meantime I am, hopefully, in the process of arranging an overnighter in exchange for feedback and a few hours volunteering. I will keep you posted.

With regards to access, dependant on the focus of the group, it could be either a foot safari, with some wildlife spotting / tracking, through the estate ending at a camping spot for an overnighter or, if a craft focussed group, drop off to site by pick up and collection the following day. There is also the possibility of an overnight canoeing trip but until I have done a test run I don't know whether the timings work.

What you originally posted was an offer of access with supervision. If what you really want to provide is more educational then you should have been more specific.
You say you have done your homework, if so why ask for our input without providing us with all the information.
Obviously an educational facility is worth more than a simple camp site BUT that is Not what you first posted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What you originally posted was an offer of access with supervision. If what you really want to provide is more educational then you should have been more specific.
You say you have done your homework, if so why ask for our input without providing us with all the information.
Obviously an educational facility is worth more than a simple camp site BUT that is Not what you first posted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

To be fair to the chap he said 'guided' from the start.

Residential rural crafts courses range from about £150+ per night depending on the skill being taught. Some accommodation and facilities would be required.

I agree.
The skill being taught and the type of facility provided dictate the actual costs, as do the tutor to pupil ratio.

This is potentially a great addition the the existing providers, but I have not yet heard anything that makes this unique!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE