Vlogs and Bushcraft Youtube channels.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, BCUK. I was walking in the woods today exploring new parts of the Hampshire countryside and I had the idea to sit down and record a 4 minute video about appreciation for nature. It's not much, more of a prototype than anything, but I've recorded a vlog. I think I might start using my channel more and a vlog is a great way to just discuss things whilst being outdoors. I'll try to improve the quality next time.

I assume there are several woodsman on BCUK who have Youtube channels? I'm sure the majority of you produce instructional videos, but if you have any vlogs feel free to send them my way.

Let's discuss nature and the great outdoors. You can respond to my video with your own video if you'd like.

[video=youtube_share;BpPI1ZLMjNk]http://youtu.be/BpPI1ZLMjNk[/video]

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Good stuff Taylor, enjoyed that thanks
Thanks, Shewie. I'll probably make some more in the next couple of days. I'll use my proper camera next time so that the quality is vastly increased. I was recording from my phone with what little memory space I had left, so that's why it cut out at the end if you're wondering.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
Nice video Taylor. Good point about developing an appreciation of woodland. I've been interested in wildlife and the outdoors my whole life, but until fairly recently I tended to walk through a woodland paying attention to the birds, insects and mammals but not the trees themselves. I think the turning point came a few years ago when my wife and I went on a wildlife watching trip to Sweden. We were staying in replica charcoal burners huts in the forest, and if you wanted a fire at night you had to get it going using matches and natural tinder. The guide explained to us that birch bark was the best tinder around, and it would be a good idea to collect some during the day. From that point on I began noting birch trees in woodland wherever I went. Other species have gradually been added as my tree knowledge has expanded, although I still have to resort to a guide for the more unusual ones.

I do have a Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/pterodaktyl) which I keep meaning to add some more bushcraft content to. The trouble is I have a strong dislike for the sound of my own voice, especially when it comes to hearing it played back from a recording - this has always been a bit of a barrier to the kind of "chatting casually to the camera" vlogging videos. I do enjoy watching other people's though - even if they aren't talking about something that gripping, or if they are sharing some knowledge I already have, it's still nice to see other people out in the woods having fun while I'm stuck at my desk working!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....The trouble is I have a strong dislike for the sound of my own voice, especially when it comes to hearing it played back from a recording - this has always been a bit of a barrier to the kind of "chatting casually to the camera" vlogging videos.....

Horrible isn't it? I used to have to do presentations in my old job on a fairly regular basis, unbeknown to me a lot of these presentations were being recorded to use as teaching aids at a later date. The first time I heard my voice played back to me I had no idea that it was myself for quite some time (I actually asked my boss who was speaking on the tape in the end), when I discovered that it was me I was absolutely stunned, I sound nothing at all like that to myself. I left the room in a state of shock and actually went and locked myself in a cubicle in the gents to try and get my head back together. It was a really unpleasant experience, one that's taken me a hell of a long time to get over. All good now though I think, I started working in a role where I have to speak in front of people again this year, and it's gone alright so far, and just so long as no-one records me doing so it'll hopefully be good for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, no idea why I'm sharing this here, just touched a nerve I guess. All good though :)

Let's get back to the OP (the chronic, 2001), nice video THOaken, I've subscribed and shall be looking forward to the next one.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
[video=youtube;p1HRKpTTYEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1HRKpTTYEE[/video]

Vlog number two has been recorded. Again, this is unedited sincere footage so there are some mess ups. I hope you enjoyed or took something away from this.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Good video :). I found it interesting how you got into it as I have always been an outdoors person since I was a little kid :cool:.

You should get bushcraft by Mors Kohanski, I have most books you did and that is by far the best in my opinion :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE