Any other photographers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I was skeptical until I got one. The fish eye lens I could leave to be honest, but for macro lens alone it is worth a punt imo. Some of my best macro work on my instagram was done with the olloclip. Better than my dedicated macro lens for my dslr. Certainly worth a go...

This was taken with my DSLR with a macro lens it is uncropped. Though to see really good macro work look HERE

Fly on Sedum by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Still got two Dursts too... Not used for many many years... Plus a lab in a suitcase with Kindermans and dev trays... etc..
Can you still even buy HP5 and Ilfotec these days?

Still have a case of FM2s with prime lenses, 24, 28,35,85,& 180...

Best useless items are the 2x EOS 1n DCS520 (Canon/Kodak Digitals) .. all of 2 mega pixels I think on a high end camera body.. what a waste.. but cutting edge in 1998.
cheers
Gareth

You can still get film stuff but it's like hens teeth these days
The place where i get all my gear from still does a nice selection of Ilford film

http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/m...ne/_142508/1/Ilford%2035mm%20and%20120%20Film

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You can still get film stuff but it's like hens teeth these days
The place where i get all my gear from still does a nice selection of Ilford film

http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/m...ne/_142508/1/Ilford%2035mm%20and%20120%20Film

Film is not that hard to find really even pound shop do it in the UK.

I bought another film camera last week I have 4 now

I got this one from my Mam.

Camera and light meter 3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

I bought this earlier this year

2 Oly 35 SP & XZ-1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

CelticRoots

May 4, 2013
Rednal, Worcestershire
Nice one Reddo. Some great snaps there

Im not that good at it myself but my wife has a website. http://carolinedickson.carbonmade.com/ and I know I am biased but she is very talented. Her brother is an amazing photographer (one of his photos is below).

View attachment 11295

Pictures like this amaze me.

How is it done, some super expensive filters? Digital tweaking?

Either way it looks excellent. :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Regards, Ben.

CelticRoots

May 4, 2013
Rednal, Worcestershire
Apologies for the newbie question but I've not taken many pictures in my time and the few I have taken have always been on a phone :/

I've been looking at getting into basic photography for a while now but have no idea on the technical side of things.

I wa thinking of getting the following.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006Q8VAR2/ref=pe_113691_41743511_pe_epc__1p_0_ti

I have a budget of £100 and was thinking of getting a used one of those after Christmas.

Is it worth it at all? Or should I wait it out and look for something else?

Many thanks if any of you guys can offer advice! :)

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
That's such a hard Q to try to answer. There is no 'right' camera. Partly it depends on what you want it for - if you're taking landscapes, then a huge zoom like that is unnecessary, you want wide angle. If you want to do portraits, you need a wide aperture lens to limit the depth of field. Etc etc etc. You've got a low budget, and whilst that camera offers a lot of features, it must come at the cost of performance in some area.

My own inclination would be to carry on practising your composition with the camera phone for now - maybe get a copy of PS Elements and learn to edit, there's tons of free info online on how to do it. Get a library book out on editing your digital images.

Then when you're more sure of what sort of photography you want to concentrate on, get an older DSLR and a couple of suitable, basic fixed focal length lenses.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Ben
I would say go for it with the little Fuji it will not have the image quality of a camera with a larger sensor but with a low budget its a great way to start and it will be much better than your phone whatever it is. Taking pictures and learning what you like is the important thing when you set out.

After a while look at what you are shooting the most and which area of the zoom range you are using to work out the next step. You never feel the need for a different style of camera many do not. A DSLR is not for everyone. The other thing buying this will do is help you decide if you can be bothered carrying a camera or just stick with the phone.

I took this shot on my Olympus XZ-1 compact camera

Looking along Derwent water by alf.branch, on Flickr

A DSLR is not absolutely necessary but understanding how to use what you have got is.

CelticRoots

May 4, 2013
Rednal, Worcestershire
Many thanks for the advice guys,

To be honest that's that's a very impressive picture, and just the sort I wish to take so it looks like the Fuji would be ideal.

You're taking the time to reply is much appreciated.

Cheers, :)

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
A DSLR is not absolutely necessary but understanding how to use what you have got is.

I agree. They do however come into their own once someone has decided 'I want to do landscapes' or 'close-up nature photography for me' as they enable you to kit up for a specific role rather than try to cover everything which obviously the compact/bridge cameras do.

If someone's going the compact/bridge route then I suggest they look out for the following features:

As large a lens aperture as possible to give greater control of depth of field
Ability to use external flash, not just the built-in one
Shoots in RAW as well as JPEG

That should give someone more chance to be a bit creative with the equipment. However, it's still composition and imagination, rather than equipment, that makes the difference between a good and bad photograph.

I've seen some corking images taken on phone/compact/bridge cameras, and some pretty dreadful ones taken on £5k DSLRs. Like shooting, 'the nut at the back' is the most important part of the equipment.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Ben
If you do not need the zoom range various options are available at similar prices for cameras with more customizable options especially if new is not necessary.

A compact system camera HERE
Another CSC HERE
A DSLR HERE
A DSLR HERE

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I've seen some corking images taken on phone/compact/bridge cameras, and some pretty dreadful ones taken on £5k DSLRs. Like shooting, 'the nut at the back' is the most important part of the equipment.

I agree

Also with the rest of what you said.
My compact was chosen on the lines of you suggestion but then I did have a DSLR already and the flash I have for it works with it as well as my cable release.

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Many thanks for the advice guys,

To be honest that's that's a very impressive picture, and just the sort I wish to take so it looks like the Fuji would be ideal.

You're taking the time to reply is much appreciated.

Cheers, :)

Ben I am not sure how the Fuji bridge cameras would cope with that shot as the shutter speeds are rather limited and that was a 60 second exposure.

The Fuji bridge cameras are a compromise as all cameras are

HERE is a review of the Fuji

CelticRoots

May 4, 2013
Rednal, Worcestershire
Thanks gr8 the advice guys,

There's a lot for me to look through there. I'll do a bit of investigating and see which suits my need best.

I have until January either way so I've got more than enough time to brush up on what's what. :)

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
All I would say is that given your tight budget, if you haven't found something you're really happy with by Jan, then keep the money in the bank and carry on with what you have until you ARE sure.

By the way, if you use a PC rather than a Mac, I'm sure I've got an unused copy of Photoshop Elements 8 somewhere that you'd be welcome to. It's a couple of releases back but still a good bit of gear, no real resale value and it came free with some thing or another I bought, you'd be welcome to it. Maybe stick a couple of quid in the Blue Cross, PDSA or BLESMA tin when you have it spare.

You'd be astonished the difference a bit of twiddling with curves etc can do for your images.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE