Iceland - Roadtrip - April 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Whatever you do, just make sure you take some pictures of Thingvellir! Especially with your sense of composition and light!
I already wish you a great trip and much fun planning, which to me is an equally large part of the fun and trip.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Wayland, if you've not already read it, have a look at Running Blind by Desmond Bagley. Classic British thriller from the 70s. It's set in Iceland and remarkably well observed in terms of both landscape and people, with a few Norse references thrown in.

Look forward to the pics on your return. I want to see Dettifoss - now that's a waterfall.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Gary, you'll have a great time.

Lucy & I spent ten days traveling round Iceland ten years ago - the best trip ever!

Everywhere was an experience, chatting to the locals in the hot tubs - most villages have a free communal geothermal spa, just turn up with a towel :)

Driving round, the scenery was jaw droppingly brilliant and was like my physical geography text book made real. Just stunning. Sometimes we just picked a small road and followed it to see where we'd end up :)

My biggest tip would be that you can pretty much stop & go anywhere you want. If you want to park up & climb a glacier, go for it! Walk down into an extinct volcanoe? Sure :)

We stayed at so many places I can't remember now without digging the journal out, but off the top of my head, a couple of the places we stopped at were Akureyri & Húsavík was nice.

We went blue whale watching in the north too - well worth the money. If they offer you the sea sickness tablets, take them, it didn't, and this old salty dog threw chunks - very embarrassing.

Jökulsárlón is spectacular, I shot 10 reels of film just in this one spot!

Gulfoss will take your breath away & you will spend ages photographing Strokkur.

The food is/was expensive, but we found salami, bread & gravalax from the Spar shops was good value. I didn't particularly like the taste of Puffin!

Touristy & a bit pricy, but the blue lagoon was worth it too.

When the kids are older, I will definitely go back.

Have a great time.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
The Icelandic Phallological Museum is worth a look too if you want to see a walking stick made out of a dolphin todger! It was actually very interesting.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm pretty positive it wouldn't be up your street, but I would kill to do the off road glaciers and watch the ridiculously powerful formula off road over there! Dreams, all dreams :)

[video=youtube;MhjkDEvV3OM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhjkDEvV3OM[/video]

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
I'm pretty positive it wouldn't be up your street, but I would kill to do the off road glaciers and watch the ridiculously powerful formula off road over there! Dreams, all dreams :)

[video=youtube;MhjkDEvV3OM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhjkDEvV3OM[/video]

TOP GEAR had a similar car on their show with a souped up quad bike too, I think their tires were delibritaly under inflated to cope with the volcanic terrain ?

exscuse the spelling
cheers Andrew.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
... their tires were delibritaly under inflated to cope with the volcanic terrain ?
yup, gives a better footprint and grippier contact area on the ice and water surface too I believe, we always used to decrease for rock crawling here too :) its fun watched them fix the inevitable derimmings with lighter fluid, would love to see it in real life from a healthy distance ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you get to explore inside a volcano follow the graffiti "A.S." for an extended trip... or a Journey to the Centre of the Earth....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE