New program about the Scottish Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Duration: 1 hour
The winter of 2012 was one of the coldest, longest and busiest on record in the Scottish mountains. It was also one of the deadliest. Fourteen lives were lost as extreme weather and a series of lethal avalanches hit the Highlands.
Blending dramatic archive material and footage recorded by people who live, work and play in this environment, this film will reveal what really happened on the mountains and find out how a major meteorological phenomenon helped shape what was truly a unique winter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03l5lvh

Wed 11 Dec 2013 21:00 BBC One Scotland only

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
That looks quite good from the trailer, but I do hope the focus isn't too gloomy and doomy. Simple truth is that a high mortality rate seen last winter is actually a symptom of a good winter.

It's not the worst winter we've had for fatalities, but it was one of the better winters for climbing and skiing we've had in recent years, although 2009/10 was pretty good as well.

Any idea if that might become visible to non-UK-folks?
I'd love to see scotland in winter.

I'm sure there'll be a way, proxy servers and that type of thing, if you do a search you'll likely find a site that'll allow you to stream the iPlayer version.

Scotland's mountains in winter? Think west Norway with lower summits and without the glaciers, but with all the wild weather and weak dodgy snow layering-bonds.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I was interviewed for this program back in the summer and we did a bit of filming in the Cairngorms. I'm looking forward to the final program and to see what footage they use.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
We'll keep an eye peeled for you Limaed, tonight at 9pm.

Was listening to the discussion on Radio Scotland regarding the programme this afternoon. It seems there's much focus on the doom and gloom aspect of the winter, rather than the fact that it was the best winter since 2009/10 ;) Plus someone mentioned we'd have to go all the way back to the 60's to find a comparable winter, that someone obviously lost their diaries for the late 70's and early 80's, a quick peek in any new routes section of a scots mountain guidebook will testify to that. Still, it plugs the show.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE