A night out with little kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This is actually a BCUSA challenge and I am posting what I have posted there... it was quite fun actually!

My new PSK for the Advanced lesson.
This time around I thought to look at a larger PSK than a tobacco tin type - just to ring the changes really
The new tin is about as large as a pocket size tin can go (as I see it) and this one is tailored to West Wales type environments and my likely "needful scenarios" rather than being a "universal" PSK.
The tin measures some 6.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches (ideal for my smock pocket and as a boiling pan) with a sealing and locking lid and contains

2 x condoms
1 plastic rain poncho
1 emergency blanket
1 small sewing kit
Duck Tape (around lighter)
Utility Wire
Wire saw
braided cord
Tinder card
Cotton wool
Fire Steel
Party candles
Lighter
StarFlash signalling mirror
Whistle
Mini compass
Coffee
Sugar (in sealed straws)
Choco;ate
MOD Oatmeal biscuit
MOD Biscuits Brown
Mini fishing kit
Tin foil
Poly bag (for foraging, water storage/collection or storing the kit when the tin is being used on the fire)
Mini first aid kit(adhesive dressings various sizes)
Scalpel
Pencil (packaging can be written on)
Multitool
12 x 1 litre water purification tablets.
Most of the items are multi purpose and I think I have covered the survival priorities of a cold, wet, windy, well watered area of hills and coastline with good tree coverage but little in the way of available, sustaining food.
Likely scenarios in this area rarely involve anything beyond a few hours to 24 hours before rescue would be available (we are a small, heavily populated land!) but this kit should allow the wait to be as comfortable as possible using a pocket sized kit.
I look forward to testing it in the near future!

I got to my exercise area at 10am on Wednesday and set about building my shelter and gathering firewood as I anticipated a cold night.
Things went very much to plan and although I did get a tad cold when the fire burned down at stages through the night, the wind blew rain under the foil blanket tarp and much of the heat from the fire also blew away as the wind was gusting force 10 at times.
The temp fell to around 0 degrees C if you take into account the wind chill factor but my clothing and PSK dealt with it all well enough.
I left the exercise area at 10 am Thursday warm and dry - and very hungry!
Collecting rainwater for my brews worked well and lots of hot drinks during the night kept me well hydrated and warm from the inside.
The ivy and bracken bed did nothing for thermal insulation but was quite comfortable.
The wire saw was slow work but did allow me to harvest some decent timber!
On arrival

My chosen site

getting firewood

Building the fire

Making my bed

My shelter

Lighting the fire using dry Alexander stalks as tinder/kindling - not the reflector I made from some scrap I found while getting firewood

Brewing up

general view of camp

Night fire

collecting rainwater for hot drinks. Excess water was stored in the large poly bag from my PSK for drinks between showers.

Camp in the morning

Me in the morning

Overall I found this the toughest challenge yet - my 56 year old bones prefer a little more comfort!
My PSK lived up to expectations and I have restocked it already for future use.
I have chosen to keep it unchanged as it seems to have all I need but I am thinking of adding a pen torch (if I can squeeze it in) as feeding the fire proved awkward when the fire had burned so low as to give little light to find the best firewood by.
The poles added to the front and rear of the tarp were to stop it flapping in the wind and spilling too much heat.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice one John.... shows how its done...:)

I wonder how many do ever use the PSK.. or see if the one they have is any good

Keep it up mate

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I like that a lot John; well done sir!

I've been on and off these sorts of kits for years - no doubt since Lofty Wiseman's book came out! I go off then revisit the idea with amazing regularity (I'm quite into Paul Kirtley's take on the subject at the moment, though you've given me further food for thought).

What's that container you're using by the way? It looks a very useful size.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Excellent trip and kit Mr Fenna,

A decent sized kit and a lot more realistic than the wee 'baccy tins (though if size is a push then a wee ones better than nowt).

Good spread of stuff (on the torch front would one of the LED button types be better due to size and the watch style batteries have a longer shelf life? Also throw off loads of light).

It's funny how we used to go away with minimal kit and enjoy it, we do get very accustomed to lots of gear - nice to prove you can still hack it.

Thoroughly enjoyed that,
GB.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
After reading the thread on Wire Saws and peoples generally dim view of them wondered how you got on with the one you used and which model it was.
Tried various in the past and found them pretty poor at best.
Was nice to see someone using a PSK and remember putting the same sort of kit together back in the 80s after reading about them in SWAT magazine.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
After reading the thread on Wire Saws and peoples generally dim view of them wondered how you got on with the one you used and which model it was.
Tried various in the past and found them pretty poor at best.
Was nice to see someone using a PSK and remember putting the same sort of kit together back in the 80s after reading about them in SWAT magazine.

I used to write for SWAT :)
The saw is hard work - slow and not energy efficient (I do not know what make it is) - but it is al I could carry in a small tin that would cut the dead standing timber for the fire :)
Ergo - it was the right tool for the job :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like that a lot John; well done sir!

I've been on and off these sorts of kits for years - no doubt since Lofty Wiseman's book came out! I go off then revisit the idea with amazing regularity (I'm quite into Paul Kirtley's take on the subject at the moment, though you've given me further food for thought).

What's that container you're using by the way? It looks a very useful size.

A Sigg tin - not sure if they are still being made .
I think Highlander do something similar.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hat off to you sir :You_Rock_, my only question, were you not allowed to use the poncho/waterproof you would have customarily worn as well? Still excellent work :notworthy

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Now you've got the basics sorted john I think you should look at your pack weight at your age every gram makes a difference

tom moran

Nov 13, 2013
United Kingdom
wow, you really pushed it. not sure im ready for that just yet, got 24 hours of practise time coming this weekend though, ill set up camp the 'easy' way then practise a few skills ive been meaning to do for ages

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE