Tudor Monastery Farm: Coming to BBC2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just watched it myself, was very good. Done by happy knowledgeable presenters who put stuff across well. Would like a job like that - hard but good I reckon.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Well worth the cost of a TV license. One of the best TV presented factual programs I have watched in a long time. It has made me appreciate so much of what I took for granted.

mountainy man

Jun 23, 2010
sligo, ireland
I really enjoy these shows, Tales from the green valley was amazing stuff and they keep up the standard, as was said above Colonial farm would be good stuff

Ruth is the perfect woman, that is all, goodnight.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I usually like these programmes and I enjoyed the previous series.
But, not this one and I do not know why. Perhaps it is the change of presenters?

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Well, it's a long way better than most of what graces our tv screens, but I am feeling it's a little more superficial than the previous series. For example, I would have like to have seen more about the crook making, and more depth to Robin's bowl turning, etc. But I guess at the end of the day its targeted at the masses. I will continue watching.

Dave

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Ba, I knew nothing about this! AND IM BLOOMIN OFFSHORE!

I always feel sorry for Peter - Alex always pick on him... and he always seems to get the worst jobs!

Andy

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It's a good show but I wish that they would show more about the skills used, but then it isn't for the nerdy sort but the general public.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Well, it's a long way better than most of what graces our tv screens, but I am feeling it's a little more superficial than the previous series. For example, I would have like to have seen more about the crook making, and more depth to Robin's bowl turning, etc. But I guess at the end of the day its targeted at the masses. I will continue watching.

Dave

That's pretty much what I thought too Dave, a bit superficial on some stuff that I would find interesting, and too much time on other less interesting topics, but I guess they can't please everybody all the time :) Will still tune in but only after I've recorded it each time and can fast forward through the boring bits !

Cheers, Paul

Last edited:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I love these shows, and feel an affinity with it (the WWII show was filmed literally ten minutes from my house, and this one isn't too much further away either), the stories, techniques and skills on show are amazing - simply some of the best TV on at the moment. Perhaps they could film some extra content for those of us wanting more indepth information on some the areas they cover - maybe facilitated by the BBC "red button", like other shows they do?

Either way, a great show presented by knowledgeable presenters in an easy to understand format. Keep it up!

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Watched the first episode on catch up. Thought it was a bit religion heavy - Wish they would go into more detail on the skills involved back in those days instead. Nice, interesting watch though.

The mrs may need some convincing about a fire in the middle of our front room. She's just not going for it...

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Watched the first episode on catch up. Thought it was a bit religion heavy - Wish they would go into more detail on the skills involved back in those days instead. Nice, interesting watch though.

I think they're doing a pretty good job of pointing out the complete monopoly the church held over the whole country... "Do what we want, pray to the saints, and you might miraculously get a bumper harvest...if not, we ain't buying your wool, get off our land and btw you're going to hell!"

Agree with the comments about this series not scratching the surface on a lot of stuff. I remember the others going into a lot more detail, like when they made the pig pen with glass beer bottles for insulation, they showed the whole process and to me that was fascinating stuff. This time, it's "today we're making pottage. Tadah, it's done!"

Next episode they're making beer and bread - one to watch!!!

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Really enjoying this so far. The less technology available in the time period the better the show I think. Always pick up a few little tricks from these shows.
Russ

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I think they're doing a pretty good job of pointing out the complete monopoly the church held over the whole country... "Do what we want, pray to the saints, and you might miraculously get a bumper harvest...if not, we ain't buying your wool, get off our land and btw you're going to hell!"

Exactly! You have to remember that what we would consider religious extremism now was very much the norm back then. Pretty much everything was the work of God. If you caught a fever you must have sinned and should pray more for it to go away. If your crops failed you must have done something really bad - pray more. Many people were happy to die for their faith or fight wars to prove that their religion was the true faith. You don't have to look far to see modern analogues.

Although, in theory, they have kept the format of this series the same as in previous series - they haven't. This time the have set the series in a farmhouse at the Downland a Weald Museum. There is no way they could have lived there for a year, as they had done (allegedly) in previous series. Many of the scenes of village life are obviously staged with the museum as the backdrop. Maybe this is why they haven't gone into things in such depth.

BTW: Anybody who likes this kind of stuff would be well advised to visit the Downland and Weald Museum. Jaw-droppingly good! Well worth the money, I think it was a tenner. I learned a shed-load of stuff just by using my eyes and brain. Oh, so that's how they did it! Now I understand what they mean by.........! No wonder they couldn't........! That's why they call it..........!

No connection, just an extremely satisfied visitor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE