Butser Ancient Farm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I was just wondering if any of you have been down to Butser Ancient Farm and what your thoughts were of the place. I just got off the phone with one of the staff and I'm heading down tomorrow for the first time to have a look and see about voluntary experience.

Perhaps it's a bit of a stretch, but are there any Bushcrafters heading down tomorrow by chance? It'd be nice to chat.

Just interested in your opinion of the farm and its workshops.

Thanks.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have never been, but it looks wonderful. One of my favourite places is the Crannog Centre on Loch Tay - have you been? LINK Great staff with a lot of knowledge and skills.
You'll be too young to remember it but there was a great TV program on in the 0's called "Living In The Past", a program where six couples and their kids lived in an Iron Age farm for a year. Loved it, used to go to my Grandparents to watch, totally enwrapped. LINK I so wanted to go and live there.
Hope you have fun and good luck with the volunteering.

GB.

[video=youtube;gMQ0O4-dHhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQ0O4-dHhE[/video]

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Have never been, but it looks wonderful. One of my favourite places is the Crannog Centre on Loch Tay - have you been? LINK Great staff with a lot of knowledge and skills.
You'll be too young to remember it but there was a great TV program on in the 0's called "Living In The Past", a program where six couples and their kids lived in an Iron Age farm for a year. Loved it, used to go to my Grandparents to watch, totally enwrapped. LINK I so wanted to go and live there.
Hope you have fun and good luck with the volunteering.

GB.

[video=youtube;gMQ0O4-dHhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQ0O4-dHhE[/video]
I've seen Living in the Past numerous times. Brilliant documentary. I never did manage to get to visit Loch Tay and the Crannog Centre, but I'm hoping to go there when I visit Scotland next year.

In fact I may just watch Living in the Past again tonight since I'm heading to an iron age farmstead morrow. Seems the thing to do!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think you'll enjoy it there, they're dab hands with a bow drill! Are you going to do a little report on the farm? Would be interesting. If you do remember that camera, I'd like to see pictures as well as read what you think.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Been there several times, a terrific place. Best is to sleep over if you get the chance anytime. Waking up in the early morning sunshine with a trace of mist around the roundhouses having slept out was magical. Then there is the warmth of being in a roundhouse with a fire going, true comfort.

Crannog was the place wife and I learnt to use a fire drill. It has to be on anybodies' visiting agenda.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
I went there some years ago now on a course to build a traditional coracle - absolutely brilliant. Great place and a great tutor.

If you are ever down my neck of the woods - Dorset - be sure to visit the Ancient Technology Centre at Cranborne; another excellent experimental archaeology centre. Luke who runs it really knows his stuff and is currently building a number of authentic buildings at Stonehenge for the new visitor centre there.

Cheers

Bob:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE