Dartmoor October Meet ... The Aftermath!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hello! Well that was an interesting meet! The weather forecast was scary, to say the least, so hats off! To those people that travelled to this one, and to those who said err no thankyou, i don't blame you, because although the pics do not show it, we had some awful weather, still enough moaning, as usual the photos do most of the talking.

We had a great time, despite the elements, a big thanks to everyone for their help, and brilliant to meet some newbies, think some of you will be back.

Anyway, some comments and stories of our eventful meet to follow, but for now have a look at the pics.

Thanks for looking.

Ivan...

Stormy Meet 007.jpg Stormy Meet 008.jpg

Stormy Meet 009.jpg Stormy Meet 010.jpg

Stormy Meet 011.jpg Stormy Meet 012.jpg

Stormy Meet 013.jpg Stormy Meet 014.jpg

Stormy Meet 015.jpg Stormy Meet 016.jpg

Stormy Meet 017.jpg Stormy Meet 018.jpg

Stormy Meet 019.jpg Stormy Meet 020.jpg

Stormy Meet 021.jpg Stormy Meet 022.jpg

Stormy Meet 023.jpg Stormy Meet 024.jpg

Stormy Meet 025.jpg Stormy Meet 026.jpg

Stormy Meet 028.jpg Stormy Meet 029.jpg

Stormy Meet 030.jpg Stormy Meet 031.jpg

Stormy Meet 032.jpg Stormy Meet 033.jpg

Stormy Meet 034.jpg Stormy Meet 035.jpg

Stormy Meet 037.jpg Stormy Meet 038.jpg

Stormy Meet 039.jpg Stormy Meet 040.jpg

Stormy Meet 041.jpg Stormy Meet 042.jpg

Stormy Meet 043.jpg Stormy Meet 044.jpg

Stormy Meet 045.jpg Stormy Meet 046.jpg

Stormy Meet 047.jpg Stormy Meet 048.jpg

Stormy Meet 049.jpg Stormy Meet 050.jpg

Stormy Meet 051.jpg Stormy Meet 052.jpg

Stormy Meet 001.jpg Stormy Meet 002.jpg

Stormy Meet 003.jpg Stormy Meet 004.jpg

Stormy Meet 005.jpg Stormy Meet 006.jpg

Stormy Meet 007.jpg Stormy Meet 008.jpg

Stormy Meet 009.jpg Stormy Meet 010.jpg

Stormy Meet 013.jpg Stormy Meet 014.jpg

Stormy Meet 015.jpg Stormy Meet 016.jpg

Stormy Meet 017.jpg Stormy Meet 018.jpg

Stormy Meet 019.jpg Stormy Meet 020.jpg

Stormy Meet 021.jpg Stormy Meet 022.jpg

Stormy Meet 023.jpg Stormy Meet 024.jpg

Stormy Meet 025.jpg Stormy Meet 026.jpg

Stormy Meet 027.jpg Stormy Meet 028.jpg

Stormy Meet 029.jpg Stormy Meet 030.jpg

Stormy Meet 031.jpg Stormy Meet 032.jpg

Stormy Meet 033.jpg Stormy Meet 035.jpg

Stormy Meet 036.jpg Stormy Meet 037.jpg

Stormy Meet 038.jpg Stormy Meet 039.jpg

Stormy Meet 040.jpg Stormy Meet 001.jpg

Stormy Meet 002.jpg Stormy Meet 003.jpg

Stormy Meet 004.jpg Stormy Meet 005.jpg

Stormy meeting 001.jpg Stormy meeting 002.jpg

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Bloody brilliant time, as always! There's no doubt the weather on Sunday night was foul but as the pics show, we did have some nice weather too.
All the kids had a great time and I'm pretty sure all the adults did too.
Was great to meet some new people, Rob, Mat, Phil and Ben - all great guys. Phil's catering talents are a thing to behold and I think he's my new best friend. That'll teach him for feeding a fat bloke with great food for the entire meet!

Was also nice to chat with Ellen as we haven't had that chance before, I'm downloading by new book reading list as I type this.

Of course it goes without saying, thanks to the host & hostess with the mostess - Ivan and Alison, without them it wouldn't have happened and also what a great way to finish the meet, back to theirs for roast dinner.

As you know, I'm particularly lazy and didn't take a single picture but Talia took 300+. Once I've sifted through I'll post them up.

Looking forward to the next campfire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Paul, i was a little worried for the kids, but they seemed to have a good time.

I have already had a word with Alison, about tagging those lunch pics! Then you go and comment, bet the next meet, i get the, is roast included?

Glad you had a good time, see you and yours soon.

Ivan and Alison, oh yeah, Nutmeg sends her love xx

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
yep as above had a great time at ivans meet, weather was nothing near what the weathermen predicted, and everyone who attended had great time it was nice to meet some new people ben /9inchninja and his wife jade and there son sidney elen sentier and matt and bob from the bushcraft forum and lets not forget phil/midnitehound who kept us well fed thanks chef he is paul webster new best mate, thanks to richards and pails girls who took the oldies on a nice walk and thanks to ivan and alison for there hospitality and the roast dinner yum yum pictures to follow regards dave

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
and this is what I went to get instead of coming to lunch :). Ain't she boootiful ???

Dave Budd Axe by Elen Sentier, on Flickr

Had a nice tour of Dave's woods too, hope to get down and seive some clay for him, maybe make some pots too. Looks like very ncie woods to hammock in. Ta very muchley Dave Budd for the axe and the tour and the brew ... see you soon friend :)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Firstly my apologies I couldn't make it; damn work and family commitments
Great photos Ivan looks like the usual suspects did what they usually do i.e Dave and Paul sitting and eating.Richie playing with his new toy
You will be pleased to hear that here in Bath the storm was the proverbial damp squib Definitely not worthy of the media hype -I think we were lucky and it passed us by and hit our neighbours in Wiltshire much harder. Glad to hear you all survived in good spirits

I will definitely be getting down your way soon Ivan so will be in touch
That is a very nice axe Elen very nice indeed Well done Dave Budd,nice to see all the practice is paying off lol

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That looks like a great site; thanks for the epic picture post.

Once again, that dog of yours looks to have had fun :)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I've just perfectly roasted a whole load of chestnuts in my Philips Airfryer. They were picked up whilst at the Dartmoor meet and they taste delicious. I vote we have a meet up same time same place next year and I will collect a bin liner full to feed to the hundreds of costumed kids wandering up and down my shopping street on Halloween night, they will love that. Erm, as we have plenty of notice, can we pre-order some less violent weather please Ivan?!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks for having a peep, and comments, it was a very good meet, obviously, with the forecast storms, some people chose wisely to abort the mission, some even attempted the journey, turned back or even went and did something more sensible!

The site is not what we are all used to, but some of the home comforts were gratefully received, because although the pics don't show, we did have our fair share of inclement weather, several members, ended up sleeping in their cars! Me and Alison included.

But we found plenty to occupy ourselves, good old wander around the estate, bit of foraging, carving, and a massive thanks to Midnitehound, now theres a chap you want in camp, his catering skills were magic, mind you Bucephalus did us proud with is casserole, and dutchy oven baked onion and cheese loaf, which was lovely, the venison and beef stew, courtesy of Rob, Matt and 9Inchninja was superb, and although i say it myself, my own piri piri chicken,6 whole chickens! Wasn't bad either.

Another sucessful meet, with the possibility of using the site again.

Ivan...

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Another great meet with friends old and new. Some important individuals were absent but no doubt they feel as I was feeling looking at all the trip reports I didn't attend! - Tough! :p

My girls loved it and now proudly show off the webbed feet they acquired compliments if our Tentipi, feet which came in useful when they took the canoe out for a spin.
Alison and Ivan fed us the best cooked dinner we've had in years. Three hours later we were sat at our dinner table at home with a cooked dinner in front of us and my girls just looked at each other, looked at me and then asked mum where she learnt to cook. A few kicks under the table sorted that one.
Now they want to move in with Alison!

Thanks to Phil for the reading material. Took me minutes to read it (twice) and I've ordered some more similar reading from Amazon. PM me some more recommended reading pls Phil.

Apologies to Elen and others who didn't get a chance to shoot. I'll make a better effort next time.

Pics to follow.
:beerchug::hammock::canoe::camping:

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
Grollox. seems i have missd what was a great weekend etc, why oh why did i have children..? so i could not be there with you all but next time save me 2 trees and keep that fire burning bright. some great pics
all the best Guys and Alison.
Rick

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
"Thanks to Phil for the reading material. Took me minutes to read it (twice) and I've ordered some more similar reading from Amazon. PM me some more recommended reading pls Phil."

Ahem how I lol;You can imagine what I am thinking

Onion and cheese loaf???? You never made that for me Best make up for that omission quick boy

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks for sharing a wonderful looking meet. I like the picture with all the metal mugs / canteen cups hanging in the background! Nice air rifle range, too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE