Arctic Overbag for Skyehigh 100

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hi there,

Only a quick post this as I'm heading out the door, but does anyone know of a sleeping bag that has enough of a temperature rating to compliment the skyehigh 1000's -16 rating in an arctic environment, but that is also large enough to accomodate the skyehigh without crushing the loft?

Cheers

Matt

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What about using a liner bag inside rather than trying to encapsulate the Skyehigh? I'd be weary of the -16 rating as that's their extreme limit rather than comfort rating, they mention sleeping in the fetal position at those temps rather than being relaxed and sleeping normally.

It's always hard to gauge it as we all sleep differently, it'd be useful for you to know the limits of the SH1000 before you went out there though.

For a liner I'd look at one of the PHD bags, something like their Minimus range without a zip

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The danger with a two piece ensemble is that moisture builds up between the two bags and wets out the down. If needs must though i would agree with Shewie that putting something inside is the way forward.

if i was to go the overbag route id probably use the second bag as a quilt with some bungee cord going under the skyehigh to keep it in place.

what are you planning to sleep on. Ive found the under insulation makes a huge difference to comfort

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
When I've been considering the two bag approach, I've been thinking that if the down was to go on the inside, with a synthetic outer bag, then any moisture would pass through the synthetic, lie on the inside of the bivi and only affect the outerbag, thus saving the down. If the other way around, with down as the outer, I'm worried it would essentially negate the down with the moisture on the inside of the bivi bag.
As for under me, I was thinking enough spruce boughs to sink a ship, with a ccf mat on top, as I've heard other people do.

if i was to go the overbag route id probably use the second bag as a quilt with some bungee cord going under the skyehigh to keep it in place.

This sounds like an ace idea TBH, as any insulation would be crushed under me anyway.

I'm considering the larger surplus ECW bags as possibles, such as the M90, or Carinthia, if anyone has any experience with them?

Also, just thinking, maybe a heavyweight wool blanket between the layers, or indeed, on top of both bags, might help with any moisture problems?

Cheers for all your help guys

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Vapour transfer at cold temperatures is a science in its own right. lots of people say at less than -7 - -10 outside temp, stuff doesnt breath at all so they use a VB system. Others are happy to go with the bivvy bag theory that says the moist air will condense on the inside of the bivvy and not in the bag.

my sleep system is based on the link below but with an exped mat replacing the thermarest and a synthetic bag replacing the down. I found in estonia last year my western mountaineering kodiak deteriorated pretty quickly in terms of loft. This was mainly a result of temps warming through the week making the bag too warm. I sweated a lot and it wet the bag out from the inside. packing it on the last day it took up only half of the stuff sack :D. This convinced me to switch to synthetic as i just dont trust down for extended periods without using a VB sytem.

Corinthia bags have a very good rep for cold weather use. Twodogs uses them a lot so he may be able to give more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y81HL8pUxes

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
VB systems do hold merit for me. They make sense, and yet, as the WinterTrekking article, which I've looked at extensively, though cheers for pointing it out :), points out, there's something about sleeping in a plastic bag that isn't all together pleasing. That said, I'd be inclined to take something such as an emergency VB bag, i.e. the big orange plastic bags, for emergencies.

On sweating, it might therefore be a good idea to go with the inner synthetic and other down system, so that the synthetic can catch the sweat.

P.S. those buffalo bag liners look pretty damned good!

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
It's been a while since I did any amount of serious winter camping and there may be developments on the gear section that I am not aware of but this is what my experience has taught me.
What holds insulating air is loft. If a down bag is restricted in its ability to fully "loft up" it will not be maximum effective. Therefore putting something on top of a down bag is usually a bad idea unless it is a light down jacket. Better to try and add loft inside the bag. Warm undies such as woolpower are great and especially a warm hat and socks.
Your bag can keep you warm but will not make you warm so get warm by moving before you go to bed. Eat something so the body has fuel during the night.
P*** before going to bed. Do it in a bottle and you start off with a hot water bottle!
As said, make sure that you have enough insulation toward the ground. Double mats at least!

If this is not enough and you are really going to be in arctic cold then consider getting a bag that is made for it rather then trying to "put make up on a pig".
I have used a "Tyin arctic" for many years and the condensation is usually on the outer fabric and dries quickly while I pack the tent. Only after ten days or so has so much moisture been built up inside the bag that it really needs drying out.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's been a while since I did any amount of serious winter camping and there may be developments on the gear section that I am not aware of but this is what my experience has taught me.
What holds insulating air is loft. If a down bag is restricted in its ability to fully "loft up" it will not be maximum effective. Therefore putting something on top of a down bag is usually a bad idea unless it is a light down jacket. Better to try and add loft inside the bag. Warm undies such as woolpower are great and especially a warm hat and socks.
Your bag can keep you warm but will not make you warm so get warm by moving before you go to bed. Eat something so the body has fuel during the night.
P*** before going to bed. Do it in a bottle and you start off with a hot water bottle!
As said, make sure that you have enough insulation toward the ground. Double mats at least!

If this is not enough and you are really going to be in arctic cold then consider getting a bag that is made for it rather then trying to "put make up on a pig".
I have used a "Tyin arctic" for many years and the condensation is usually on the outer fabric and dries quickly while I pack the tent. Only after ten days or so has so much moisture been built up inside the bag that it really needs drying out.

Excellent Advice...I agree completely!
I've said it a dozen times before and I'll say it again...although bulky and not super fashionable the British Military Arctic Sleeping bag is the dogs dangly bits...and is alot cheaper than most other extreme cold weather bags (I just picked one up for £40)...and to go along with it get a pair of duvet boots and a Merino Wool balaclava for sleeping in..
Also if you can get hold of the British issue Cold weather roll mat..that would be a bonus because again they are excellent...
Twodogs posted this last year:
Yep Jerven bag is megga :)

Today we have a bit of kit that we all take for granted and most use whenever camping the Roll mat :),

The roll mat wasnt on general issue to the UK military till the mid 80s after the Falklands war before that it was treated as an arctic only item ,:rolleyes:..

British Military Arctic issue 1970s/80s white on one side , green on the other roll mat , owww comfort at last :cool:

002-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

Twodogs

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Greg,
Where did you get your Army bag from? I'm probably being slow - there seems to be several types of Brit Arctic bags - but is it the 90 pattern type you are referrring to or something different?

Thanks

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yes it is the '90 pat ...the older ones are made with some sort of down (Duck or Goose...not sure??) still good but I can't stand the feathers..lol
I do have both types but much prefer the '90 pat version..And believe it or not I got them both on Evilbay..

I managed to keep alot of kit when I left the Army..but my Arctic bag was one thing I didn't get away with...:)

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

:lmao:I love that phrase.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Vapour transfer at cold temperatures is a science in its own right. lots of people say at less than -7 - -10 outside temp, stuff doesnt breath at all so they use a VB system. Others are happy to go with the bivvy bag theory that says the moist air will condense on the inside of the bivvy and not in the bag.

my sleep system is based on the link below but with an exped mat replacing the thermarest and a synthetic bag replacing the down. I found in estonia last year my western mountaineering kodiak deteriorated pretty quickly in terms of loft. This was mainly a result of temps warming through the week making the bag too warm. I sweated a lot and it wet the bag out from the inside. packing it on the last day it took up only half of the stuff sack :D. This convinced me to switch to synthetic as i just dont trust down for extended periods without using a VB sytem.

Corinthia bags have a very good rep for cold weather use. Twodogs uses them a lot so he may be able to give more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y81HL8pUxes

So will you be using your new Wiggys Ultima Thule boat tail bag as the basis for your sleep system then? Depending on where I end up next jan/feb, I'm banking that my Ultima Thule, combined with an Exped comfort 10 synmat (and with the Jervens bag as backup in case of -60C temps!), will do the job...

I found last year in norway that the Wiggys superlight kept me warm enough, and that was sleeping on a mesh camp bed - not really recommended for cold weather as the cold air gets underneath. The bag kept me and my sleeping gear - basically wool thermal underlayer - warm and totally dry, although there was some frost (frozen condensation) on the top of the bag in the morning. The inside of the bag was also bone dry. To be fair, it wasn't that cold - probably only dropping to -10/12c.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE