Greenheat and BCB crusader stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Was playing with my crusader stove and some greenheat gel sachets today, that both landed in the post today.

The first sachet I couldn't get to light no matter what I tried. Squeezed it into the stove as per instructions and put the empty sachet on top but to the side a bit, blasted it with the turboflame, chucked matches on it, bits of paper etc, but just wouldn't catch :(

It was a bit breezy outside to be fair.

Had another go this evening having read a few back threads and warmed the next sachet up a bit about my person (don't ask !) beforehand to help it gas a bit, and sure enough caught immediately from the turboflame and roared away :)

Only for about a minute though and then went out :( Still evening by now, no breeze.

Relit it with another blast of encouragement, and it burned away nicely, for about 16 minutes in total, but didn't get the 500ml of water in the mug more than lukewarm at the end of it :(

It costs about 50p a pop, so if I need to double them up and costs £1 for a cup of coffee I'm not impressed !

Is it me doing something wrong or should I just bin them and get a trangia burner and some meths for a reliable brew in cooler, maybe breezy conditions ?

Cheers, Paul

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Greenheat (fire snot) has never served me well; but others love it. Try Chafing gel from the cash and carry- much cheaper and works better IMO. I've had good results using a small meths burner in the burner.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
+1 on the Chafing fuel.

I got some from Costco's a while back and have been having a play. You could make your own sachet's quite easy or just use a small can with screw lid or even fill T Light cases? I found that using a 4D maglite to flare out T light cases to fit over each other works a treat! Then just seal with Alu-tape for handy one shot fuel cannisters that easily bring 400ml to a boil! The chafing Gel is also pretty much spill proof unlike straight alcohol.

Steve.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hmmm, I do get to costco now and again, haven't noticed the chafing gel before, do you recall which section it's normally on or near ?

Cheers, Paul

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Why not make a monkey boy stove? Its perfect for the Crusader cooker :).

monkeyboystove_zpsfd795554.jpg

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I agree - fire snot is, was and always has been a complete waste of time.

Hahaha, at least it's not me then ! I might try some hexi but instinct tells me to just get a trangia and suitable container for the meths and have done with it !

Cheers, Paul

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Can't really make out how it's made ?

Cheers, Paul

I made mine using a Vaseline lip balm tin; stuff it full of fibreglass loft insulation and capped it off with some mesh from a tea strainer. The insulation acts as a wick and stops the fuel just boiling off.
It takes about 25ml of meths and that's just enough to boil 400ml or so in a lidded crusader.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I'm off on a long weekend "bushcrafting" later this month, rather than my usual car/tent camping, so need to have confidence that I can actually make a brew and heat through my tin of beans or porridge etc, without carting around my usual big cumbersome gas stove !

Us Scotsmen like our porridge in the morning :)

Cheers, Paul

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm off on a long weekend "bushcrafting" later this month, rather than my usual car/tent camping, so need to have confidence that I can actually make a brew and heat through my tin of beans or porridge etc, without carting around my usual big cumbersome gas stove !

Us Scotsmen like our porridge in the morning :)

Cheers, Paul

100g gas cart and one of these will easy do a long weekend

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
What about the new BCB fire dragon stuff?
There was a recent review which made it look quite good and it's reasonably priced too.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Hmmm, I do get to costco now and again, haven't noticed the chafing gel before, do you recall which section it's normally on or near ?

Cheers, Paul

In the Watford one it's with the cooking utensils and pans and stuff? It has been around for a while and that store was down to the last few trays, maybe the end of that line? I think it was £8 for 12 X 2.5 hour burn cans?

The thing is this stuff smells exactly like Vodka!! Reading the pack blurb it is totally non-toxic? No mention of any de-denaturing agents and the only warning is if ingested may cause drunkenness!!

I thought all alcohols in the uk not taxed as consumable had to be de-natured? I can post the pack blurb if any one is interested?

Also I had an idea of putting some chafing gel into a small 50mm screw top tin that are on ebay along with some pot stand legs and a couple of matches? no chance of this leaking and if sealed with tape could be a handy pack and forget back-up emergency stove?

Steve.

Steve.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks for the ideas guys, plenty to think about/try.

I'll pop over to gooutdoors today and pick up a pack of hexi, just to satisfy my curiosity, and see if they have any trangias (they didn't last week), and if not or if they seem to pricey there I'll check them out online.

The clasohlson stuff looks to be a bargain Rik, although I've already got mess tins and now the crusader cup so may not need all the bits and pieces.

Costco is a little more of a trip so I might not make it over there for a while but will be sure to check out the pots and pans aisle, as I don't normally !

Thanks again.

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE