The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
While out with the kids today I found this nice troop of Parasols
P1040935.jpgP1040938.jpgP1040939.jpg
So that's the dehydrator running.....
Also bagged some Spruce milkcaps, wood mushrooms and field mushrooms

And a couple I can't quite identify:
1st up possibly Cortinarius Subfulgens but is on a dead trunk so maybe a type of Pholiota? Limestone area with mixed hardwoods, mostly beech, ash and horse chestnut, no idea what the stump was. Not much smell, but if pushed I would say earthy.
P1040933.jpgP1040934.jpgP1040945.jpg

Second up, in Norway Spruce, with a brown spore print and a pleasant mealy smell. The photos don't show it, but they have quite a dimple in the cap
P1040912.jpgP1040931.jpg2013-09-24 08.04.06.jpg

And finally in the kids park, a load of these little beauties, all under 2cm across
P1040921.jpgP1040923.jpgP1040926.jpg

Last edited:

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
I was up in Braemar and had a good forage with a pile of Chanterelle, Winter Chanterelle and the first Wood Hedgehogs of the year. There were loads of fungi in evidence but a couple require an ID:

Found a few of these growing near Scots Pine - they look like a type of bracket fungi but growing through the ground. This specimen was around 12 inches across and there were a few others all beside the same tree. Looking at Phillips my thinking was it could be Root Rot??

fungi%20%286%29.jpg

fungi%20%287%29.jpg

I'm posting this next one because I've seen a few patched down where I live, always in coniferous woods. I'm thinking Spotted Toughshank?

fungi%20%288%29.jpg

fungi%20%285%29.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Found a few of these growing near Scots Pine - they look like a type of bracket fungi but growing through the ground. This specimen was around 12 inches across and there were a few others all beside the same tree. Looking at Phillips my thinking was it could be Root Rot??

Phaeolus schweinitzii. Used to make a high quality gold dye.

The others are spotted toughshank, yes.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Since I'm making mistakes (again), please confirm this parasol mushroom for me. It was a big one (penknife for scale), but as it was all on its own, I left it there, despite it being pristine condition. I was very tempted to take it though. I also wasn't 100% confident in ruling our shaggy parasol, and any doubt is too much doubt when it comes to fungi, so by my personal rules, it stays there.

10005723723_56d376c0ba_b.jpg

10005716343_7b7a7ed7b4_b.jpg

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
Amanita muscaria?

ty6uvere.jpg

u9uqedud.jpg

If it is, I assume a discussion on it's 'magicality' would be inappropriate. Or anyone wishing to share any knowledge could PM me. ;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Amanita muscaria?

Yes. As for its "magicality" - I know a few people who've taken this mushroom recreationally and I'd say 90% of them do not go back for more. That probably tells you all you need to know about it. The other 10% are the sort of people one would describes as "masochists." This mushroom gives you a nasty stomach-ache.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes. As for its "magicality" - I know a few people who've taken this mushroom recreationally and I'd say 90% of them do not go back for more. That probably tells you all you need to know about it. The other 10% are the sort of people one would describes as "masochists." This mushroom gives you a nasty stomach-ache.

Isn't it from this mushroom that Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer of legend comes from. Some animals and seemingly especially reindeer love these and their hallucinogenic effects, and seemingly the main effect is that of euphoric flying. It's stated that they can often be seen eating then (red nose) whilst jumping and leaping around (flying).

There's supposed to be no way of knowing which of the 1% of then have potentially lethal doses of the active ingredient which could leave you pretty dead.

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
Cheers for the info.
I know it sounds cliched but it really is only for knowledge purposes, i have no interest in chemically distorting my already tenuous grip on reality.
I've also read a bit about reindeer and the origins of some Christmas/Santa Claus traditions. Apparently these are why Santa wears red and white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE