When someone makes an enquiry....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Those who ignore evil, condone it.

That's a standard no-one can live up to.

My Mrs. wanted a couple of kittens for the kids. At the time I was aware that in Haiti they were eating mudcakes due to food prices

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/29/food.internationalaidanddevelopment

realising that taking on a couple of carnivores would short the world meat supply further and make it more expensive, I resisted on the basis that other people would be looking for kittens as well and us taking them increased the demand for kittens which would be met. So effectively if I relented I would be taking the food supply for 1 person out of circulation.

I eventually caved in.

A couple of years I went to a shop and tried out a whole bunch of knives. The only one that actually fitted my hand was £130. A £10 Mora would have meant that the remaining £120.00 could have gone to water aid

http://www.wateraid.org/uk/what-we-do/the-crisis/statistics

768 million people in the world do not have access to safe water. This is roughly one in ten of the world's population.
(WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) Report 2013 update)

Around 700,000 children die every year from diarrhoea caused by unsafe water and poor sanitation - that's almost 2,000 children a day.
(Child Health Epidemiology Reference Group, 2012 and Unicef Child Mortality Report, 2012)

I can also spend an hour a day not ignoring evil by signing online petitions, that will mean neglecting my kids.

There isn't a decision out there that doesn't short somebody of something.

I was in awe of, but couldn't understand, Paul Eddington's final interview where sitting ravaged with skin cancer he said

A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me.

I couldn't understand why you couldn't live a life with zero harm done. It's starting to become clear now, but I'm a long way off living up to "he did very little harm".

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Swallow- and i meant that leaving vulnerable animals in a bag to die showed no compassion regardless of how many mice later died as a result of this decision, we live in a society where such compassion is becoming a rare entity and one would hope for better from the knights of the green table. Still each to his own. You feel it was no big deal and i believe it was something which may haunt the individual concerned. No worries what's done is done.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
....Who?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

It's a long story...

th

:D

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Swallow- and i meant that leaving vulnerable animals in a bag to die showed no compassion regardless of how many mice later died as a result of this decision, we live in a society where such compassion is becoming a rare entity and one would hope for better from the knights of the green table. Still each to his own. You feel it was no big deal and i believe it was something which may haunt the individual concerned. No worries what's done is done.

I didn't say it was no big deal.

And that post is not limited specifically to that situation. As you can see from the real-life examples I gave, the first of which does haunt me.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London

I didn't say it was no big deal.

And that post is not limited specifically to that situation. As you can see from the real-life examples I gave, the first of which does haunt me.

Made a mess of that. I'd like to tidy up then shut up.

We can do anything but we can't do everything.

So we will have to make a choice.

What choose to do at any given moment, will be a product of how the ever shifting balance between these influences below sit at that given moment.

What we are aware of in the first place.
What we want to do.
What we can do.
What we think we can do.
What we think we should do.
What we think others think we can do.
What we think others think we should do.

Compassion = to suffer (passion) with (com).

Unless you are a Bhudda or something you won't be able to do this for every living thing without being a basket case, so you will make priorities or choices.

Those choices will based on whatever influences you are under and the will be pretty personal and based on whatever thoughts are dominating your awareness in that given moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE