The 'Challenge The Person Above You' Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Nice spear, you could fire harden the prongs also, would that help or perhaps make the prongs too brittle?

I've not managed to get out to do my challenge and now I have had my awaited surgery and am in a sling for 6 weeks!!! then 3 months apparently until I can resume to normal activities following physio! *sigh*
In the mean time I've got plenty of time to work out how I am going to complete my challenge of making a pint of water safe with only a knife...

I've got a few thoughts though on how:
Use the back edge of the blade with a piece of flint to light something that will catch a spark - amadou, but i don't have any of that so I hope to find something else that might work :) else, I'll have to learn hand drill or bow drill to make an ember.
Once I have the ember I'll get the fire going!
Boiling without a pot I have yet to work out but I figured either - boil lots of little batches in many many cabbage leaves or find clay, make pot, fire pot, fill with water, boil

Anyway, just thought I'd explain myself, maybe gather some thoughts on my intended approach!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice spear, you could fire harden the prongs also, would that help or perhaps make the prongs too brittle?

I've not managed to get out to do my challenge and now I have had my awaited surgery and am in a sling for 6 weeks!!! then 3 months apparently until I can resume to normal activities following physio! *sigh*
In the mean time I've got plenty of time to work out how I am going to complete my challenge of making a pint of water safe with only a knife...

I've got a few thoughts though on how:
Use the back edge of the blade with a piece of flint to light something that will catch a spark - amadou, but i don't have any of that so I hope to find something else that might work :) else, I'll have to learn hand drill or bow drill to make an ember.
Once I have the ember I'll get the fire going!
Boiling without a pot I have yet to work out but I figured either - boil lots of little batches in many many cabbage leaves or find clay, make pot, fire pot, fill with water, boil

Anyway, just thought I'd explain myself, maybe gather some thoughts on my intended approach!

Thanks for the compliment...I lierally made it in 20mins yesterday so didn't have time to harden it or secure the spreaders with natural cordage...was thinking of using brambles as I don't have any worth while nettles in my garden.

To your boiling water....if you have a hat, fill it with water and add hot rocks that you can heat in the fire....make a birch bark container and do the same with the rocks.......make a clay lined hollow in the ground etc
I'm sure you'll find a way ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My challenge has been met. Well done!
Any chance of seeing it in action?
Unfortunately my plan of buying a fish and demonstrating has gone the way of the Dodo...the price of fish in the shops is stupid now so can't warrant spending the cash ...sorry fella!
Wish I was in Sweden...lol:D

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Unfortunately my plan of buying a fish and demonstrating has gone the way of the Dodo...the price of fish in the shops is stupid now so can't warrant spending the cash ...sorry fella!
Wish I was in Sweden...lol:D
Not necesarry, it was your own idea, but if you want to prove the functionality of the spear the fish could be substituted for a piece of aquatic fruit. ;)

Also, I am so far unchallenged. Do you so fear the norseman...?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not necesarry, it was your own idea, but if you want to prove the functionality of the spear the fish could be substituted for a piece of aquatic fruit. ;)
Well as it happens my stream is being plagued by some horrible Aquatic Satsuma...so I have tested the spear on some pre captured specimens ;)

So the target area...

Standing ready for one to come along...

A-ha...here's one just popped its head up..!!

Right you're 'aving it..!!

Well that worked..although two of the tines/spikes did get damaged on the rocks in the stream..no doubt because it wasn't hardened...nothing that can't be repaired :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE