How did you start leatherworking?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Saul Gilsenan

May 11, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi folks. Really interested in all this leatherwork I'm seeing all over the site. There are some really stunning things people have crafted and it's really inspiring!

I was just wondering how you guys got started, what motivated you etc ?

Also if anyone could give me some tips on getting started I'd be really appreciative. What to buy and where from etc. How to tan leather perhaps? I'm not sure!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm lucky to have John Fenna (Full Member of this Forum) as a good friend and his leather work and general DIY gear has inspired me for a long time.

He lives down the road from me and he aloud me to use his workshop & instructed me on how to rehandle a knife..he then went onto show me how to make a leather sheath for it...sadly though thats as far as I have gone so far.

Good luck with any future projects you may have :)

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I got started as I needed a new sheath for an old knife. I bought a bit if leather, thread, wax, needles and awl.

Now I've got a box of tools and making a lot more stuff. Mostly make for myself but get the odd commission from friends and family.

Currently working on a pouch

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380311274.205762.jpg

Orric

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Bought a sheath for an opinel...it fell to bits in less than a week, so, I got a book read up on it and made me own, since then I have made all sorts, sheaths, pouches, bracelets,belts,assault shovel cover!! anything you can think of mainly for me but have done a couple of sheaths for peeps and just done a pouch for an emberlit stove for Bigrich on here, Its addictive as hell..get stuck in! !!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I was bored one day and decided that I wanted to make something so I made a sheath for an auger out of an old bag. Over the last couple of years I have made a few knife sheaths, axe masks and guards for my froes and drawknives.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I saw the wonderfull work done by especially Lucky Lee, and Hamish halfgoat ( yes guys, you inspired me into this, like it or not)
And me being a having the craftbugs in every vein of me body, I had to have a go. I started out with home made tools, ( an awl made out of a piece of wood shaped into a handle with a nail in it which was way to bendy, then I swapped to a centre point which I filed to a sharp point ^^) The first Moot I ever went to, I decided to take a course from Eric Metheven, had a blast and a nice introduction into the craft by someone who knows his stuff.
and got my own set of tools 2 months after that, and since then making all sorts of little commissions and projects, even if I sometimes dont have the time to spare ^^

join in mate, its a great craft to get into
Yours sincerely Ruud

Ps plenty of lads wanting to lend you a hand here ^^ and it helps if there isnt a 30 mile channel of water between tehe people that would like to help you get up to speed XD

Saul Gilsenan

May 11, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Wow fantastic responses thanks guys! I think I'll make a sheath for my opinel to start with.

I'd love to eventually be crafting some of the awesome pouches and satchels I've seen on here. I feel I'm in safe hands, so many motivated and inspired people here! :) Thanks

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'd been wanting to make a sheath, after seeing lots of the stuff on here, but ended up making a belt as the first thing, as my wife was insisting I bought a new leather belt and it seemed a good opportunity to try something. That would have been late 2009.

It's just gone on and on from there, with an online shop (http://www.theoldleatherworks.co.uk/) and Facebook following (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Old-Leather-Works/182451398567540), and lots going on with local craft fairs and sales to friends and work colleagues. With working full time, I can barely keep up with demand.

My advice would be start small, read books and watch videos, read and post on forums (this and leatherworker.net are good) and keep trying. If you can sell a few items to cover the cost of tools and materials, so much the better.

Geoff :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I've been making things from leather since I was a teenager. I've always loved the stuff, the smell, the feel & of course like me, it's gets better with age. I 've also enjoyed learning about the different types of leather & tanning proccesses. I've never used specific leather working tools as for me, the challenge of making something with the everyday tools & utensils I have around me is half the fun.
Leather working can be addictive though......I can't stop making leather hats !!!! :rofl:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE