Christmas Moot at Bridgend Moot site?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I don't know if this idea has been mooted (sorry) :puppy_dog before but how about a
Christmas Moot at the Bridgend Moot site?
:christmas2:

In theory the site should be much cheaper to hire at this time of the year.
LARPERS can't be daft enough to be there over Christmas! :christmas1:

It may be chilly but it could be made very festive and fun packed. We could work around the chilly issue in various ways and because the site is on sand it is usable regardless of the weather.
:hatscarf: And no mossies :mosquitos:or Wasps! :pokenest:

The Christmas Moot could perhaps be made a little more communal both in activities and cooking (I'm sure there would be volunteers to muck in). :grouphug:

The main classroom area could be heated. I vaguely recollect a stove in there and gas blown heating could also be used. :campfire:

Some of the yurts may be usable. A giant teepee and/or marquee could be erected and heated. There are hot showers, well some of the time. The loos may be a bit cold though!
:camping:

Some of the hammockers may retire back to tents unless they are really kitted out. Tent dwellers may have to invest in some Heat-Pals, Frontier Stoves or Coleman Cat. Heaters.
:hammock:

The NC would need wind breaks as well tarps overhead. The milky camp coffee would have to become hot rather than chilled (still whipped though)
:coffee:
and the NC nibbles would have to become a whole lot more slurpee and warming!
Soup, Hot Choc., Chilli Wraps, :mexwave:
and Hot Buns, oh I do like Hot Buns, and Rarebit Stew!

:pirate::naughty::nana: Sign of the Moose! The Greater Gud!

Drew's tree would see loads of tinsel and baubles as well as prezzies underneath. :present:

The possibilities are endless and it is at a time of year when, in theory, people should be able to get away from work for awhile.

How about a week over Christmas and New Year or a week over Christmas or even a week over New Year?

What do ya reckon guys and gals? I assume it is too late to organise for this year?! :(

Chef

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I made enquiries a few years ago regarding a winter camp and the costs were still very steep, you'd need several dozen people minimum to make the cost affordable for most members and don't forget the site is in regular use so dates may be an issue.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
it's booked the whole of the month and into the new year and it's still expensive to rent.

We've done a winter (Dec) Moot before and we talk about doing another one, maybe next year, we're getting on top of the Moot stuff much earlier now so we may well be able to arrange it, I've always liked teh idea.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I would like this - it would be a good introduction to "how to winter camp" comfortable plus it would give me a good reason to purchase a canvas bell tent and stove.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
John

I don't have a winter set up for the hammocks and it would be a weigh up between the set up for a single hammock or a set up for the family. Without looking at what a winter hammock set up costs I am guessing that their may not be much difference in the overall cost at I would need a decent underquilt a good 4-Season bag etc

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
scout sites would probably be more receptive as scouts aren't allowed to camp in winter.

my neighbours newly ex missus was constantly down there larping as a stargate ancient or similar.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
John

I don't have a winter set up for the hammocks and it would be a weigh up between the set up for a single hammock or a set up for the family. Without looking at what a winter hammock set up costs I am guessing that their may not be much difference in the overall cost at I would need a decent underquilt a good 4-Season bag etc

sleeping with a kit mat in there makes it warmer as long as you use a synthetic bag with it. a poncho around the hammock also helps with windproofing but hammocks are not nor ever have been a winter item unless you were in the navy or living in a hut.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
This sounds like a good idea even if it meant finding another site.

I have a suitable site near me (Frome) that is used by the Scouts but may well be open to this kind of use over Christmas by 'responsible' Bushcrafters.

It is sheltered, 90+ acres of woodland, has water, loos, washing facilities but no showers (That could be rectified). It is a really nice site that would meet our needs I should think.

It specifies it is suitable for 100 campers but it could easily take more and that is based just on tents I suspect. I suspect 100 Scouts is quite enough anywhere!

Local amenities are are closer than they are at Bridgend and you don't have to pay for bags!

There is a large building that should be appropriate as a communal area. Costs for the site are diddlysquat!

Fire places are communal or pillar. Careful use of firebowls etc. should be fine but I don't think they would want open ground fires dotted all over the place. If there were good numbers then a marquee would be a good idea.

I'd still like the Bridgend site for it but the numbers would have to be significant and it looks as though it isn't as deserted as I thought it might be. Some of those LARPERS are obviously hardcore! Then again a different venue would make a nice change.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Plain hammock, down filled airbed, -10 sleeping bag, good thermals and a hot waterbottle sees me down to -10 degreesC
John

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
sleeping with a kit mat in there makes it warmer as long as you use a synthetic bag with it. a poncho around the hammock also helps with windproofing but hammocks are not nor ever have been a winter item unless you were in the navy or living in a hut.

Or happy with your gear :)

JohnnyB

Jul 26, 2013
York
A Christmas moot is a brilliant idea and one that my son MadMax thought of just after the summer moot and was going to suggest/ask about on the forum. I guess it's a question of time off from work and family obligations at that time of year but we would definitely be interested. How about somewhere in the Midlands / a bit to the north of London for us Northern chaps? Although, if we can make it, we'd consider a bit further afield.

Sounds like scout sites would be ideal to consider.

I look forward to Mr Fenna conducting a "Nativity Play" workshop.

Regards,

JB

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
A Christmas moot is a brilliant idea and one that my son MadMax thought of just after the summer moot and was going to suggest/ask about on the forum. I guess it's a question of time off from work and family obligations at that time of year but we would definitely be interested. How about somewhere in the Midlands / a bit to the north of London for us Northern chaps? Although, if we can make it, we'd consider a bit further afield.

Sounds like scout sites would be ideal to consider.

I look forward to Mr Fenna conducting a "Nativity Play" workshop.

Regards,

JB

Scouts are usually a bit touchy about letting others use their sites. I'd hope a 2014 Christmas camp is doable but further South would be less risky at that time of year, it's cold up North! It is that cold North wind only combated by the bean induced warm Southern wind and thick clothing that won't let it out. :p Even the Pagans should enjoy it as much of the symbolism is pagan anyway LOL!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE