British military golok machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Sure - my 10" MOD golok is 5/32" or 4mm thick. Not quite full tang - the beech handle is aprox 5 3/4" long and the tang stops about 1" short of the end or thereabouts.

This blade has been one of planet earth's few exceptions to your trusty saying, esp after some reprofiling work following general advice on machettes from Dave Canterbury. Now it can both blast through anything going or sculpt small delicate things out of wood. Wouldn't be without it.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Sure - my 10" MOD golok is 5/32" or 4mm thick. Not quite full tang - the beech handle is aprox 5 3/4" long and the tang stops about 1" short of the end or thereabouts.

This blade has been one of planet earth's few exceptions to your trusty saying, esp after some reprofiling work following general advice on machettes from Dave Canterbury. Now it can both blast through anything going or sculpt small delicate things out of wood. Wouldn't be without it.

Thank you mate much appreciated all the info I needed in one foul swoop top man

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Thank you mate much appreciated all the info I needed in one foul swoop top man

I don't know if it is the dreaded "predictive text" thing going on, but, and sorry if this treads on anyone's toes...

I had to look up the saying above, as I thought it was somehow wrong, what I found was this, which hopefully is a useful piece of knowledge that can be passed along as even I didn't know the full explanation of the saying... Must have been that special pill I took last night ;)

it's "one fell swoop". this is a common mistake that has worked itself into casual language. the link has much more on this.

Main Entry: fell
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English fel, from Middle French, from Old French -- more at FELON
Date: 14th century
1 a : FIERCE, CRUEL, TERRIBLE b : SINISTER, MALEVOLENT c : very destructive : DEADLY
2 Scottish : SHARP, PUNGENT
- fell·ness noun
- fel·ly /'fel-lE/ adverb
- at one fell swoop or in one fell swoop : all at once also : with a single concentrated effort
[h=3]Source(s):[/h]http://www2.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/de…

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Well I am very sorry sir ill do my homework next time and possibly not use the incorrect phrases .:rolleyes:

I should think so too...:lmao:

Sorry to have trodden on your toes...It was only an observation after all and I learnt from it as well.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Just to pick you up...

"I learned from it..."

Or

"I have learnt from it..."

But not

"I learnt from it..."

See, there we go, none of us get it right all the time...

Now let's have a look at who else has made a cock up with their posts:lmao: Let's start with mountainm... Shouldn't be difficult:BlueTeamE:nutkick:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
yeah the 10 inch goloks aren't the real thing. they're a made in india, not very good clone.

the martindale No2 goloks are longer and have a slight distal taper. they also have the martindale crocodile on the side.

grammar nazis eh? who'd have 'em? :lmao:

cheers, and.

Last edited:

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
So tell me more about this 10" golok from India I've been carting around for years now. Its got issue number, date and arrow mark on the blade.
Who made it, where and why bother - (considering they already had the 13" design)? Just curious.
The 13" martindale sounds a real beast, but to be honest for me getting out and about, it has been the very portability of this thing that made it so useful. Any larger and it would have stayed at home as a luxury garden tool to worry the neighbours with.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Mmmm - interesting, thanks for that Jared. What can I say but all credit to the Chinese then (once again!) This thing has been to hell and back and the steel never once failed, chipped, rolled etc. But mine is a 1993 version. Wonder if that makes a difference?
But fake MOD golok aside - I never fully bought into this old school thinking about Chinese made things. They are clever. These days they can deliver exactly what you specify re quality. If you want a great product, they have the power. If you want junk - you'll get it by the truckload.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE