Interview with Uncle Ray in today's Guardian

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Then again, Stovie, John Fenna, tombear, Toddy, Xylaria, Harvestman. Jon Deval could all host a great programme too!

yup Red they're the only ones I can think of too, no one else springs to mind, not one other, nope. I don't think we've missed anyone out, no one else worthy or capable.

The bloke who eats dogs, its either the Viet Cong or Admunsenn who I also hate as he beat Scott to the South Pole, lousy dog eating Scandinavian.

And why does no one ever mention, Bruce Parry, ideal survivor, move in with a community and get high on their drugs, genius ! No justice in the world.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
yup Red they're the only ones I can think of too, no one else springs to mind, not one other, nope. I don't think we've missed anyone out, no one else worthy or capable.

Oh I agree there are loads on here I didn't mention!

The guy who made these

normal_Finished_snowshoes.jpg

...or these

cor-2_zps52c28b68.jpg

I couold go on for hours - but there are so many people on here with fascinating skills!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
And don't knock Admusen, he lost his life going to attempt to rescue someone he didn't even know.

(He was annoying, you are right.)

If you are going to knock those who eat dogs, then that includes folk such as the native americans and Australian aborigines.

But this is all stupid; we should do something positive such as Youtube. This is the 21st century we are all free to be globally famous for 15 minutes now.

Ill do the `car boot finds` ep.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I do remember seeing him in one of his earlier series, swimming across a river, using his pack as a bouyancy device, and an old woman in a rowing boat coming past, and peering down at him, oddly, and asking him if he was alright. At which point you realised he must have been in the local park.

That was quite funny. He seemed a bit irritated by it.

See what I mean about him being a bit Alan Partridge.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
http://artisticexpression.wordpress...llen-deserve-to-be-hated-for-killing-his-dog/

I dont know if Rays ever killed his dog. Send woodlore an email and ask him.

Having read that link it seems to me the most amazing part of the story is how the dog itself survived not Benedict Allen, if the story is correct the dog not only managed to survive for two weeks on presumably only scavenged food but also found it’s own way back to Allen as well, as the story states the dog was killed on the 30[SUP]th[/SUP] day then presumably it had managed to actually survive by it’s own scavenging for 30 days as Allen would not have been able to feed it. I wonder what the dog managed to find to eat in that time and what state it was in and how it actually found it’s way back to Allen. Shame though that the dog was rewarded with such an end after such a marvellous effort, necessary or not.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
" The term he prefers is "bushcraft" – the art of understanding and being at one with the natural world. "You learn the value of the things around you, and that forever changes your perspective on nature. It makes you feel at home in places we are otherwise brought up to believe are threatening.

Mmmmm it used to be called nothing.....then we were given names like heathens or pagans......Bushcraft .....pah :p

If Woden Wills It , then it will be so

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me too. Couldn't stand it on the radio either. Nothing funny about a drunk idiot.

Couldn't have said it better myself - was totally unfunny on the radio - couldn't bring myself to plumb its depths of banality on televison

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Well he's certainly a "marmite" taste - and even his fans were unsure about the TV series.

It's an odd thing personal taste - especially around comedy it often seems to me.

Personally I can't stand Michael McIntyre and have to leave the room when he's on TV, but loads of people seem to think he a comedy genius.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE