Tanning deer hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I've just got a deer hide today from a friend of a friend who's a sort of part time Ghillie and I'm wondering how to go about tanning it.

The hide has been cleaned of all flesh, stretched and dryed but thats all so I guess its a form of rawhide at the moment. Its currently in a bin bag tucked away in a corner

Also it still has the hair on.

I was planning on using the hide for a quiver and I quite like the idea of keeping the hair on but I'm not sure at the moment.

I'm looking for advice on how best to finish tanning it, I've read something about using soapflakes and a washing machine followed by hand cream.

I dont have access to brains (so my better half tells me) to braintan it .

Thanks

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh been there :( Ubiquitous black bin bag leaking sludgy bloody skin :eek: :(
Sounds as though someone has done a lot of the work for you though; it took me 3 and a half hours to scrape off the visceral tissues, etc., from the back of the hide.......and I'm vegetarian :yikes:
I scraped it clean, then it went into the washing machine with biological washing liquid. I washed it on the 30o wash but gave it the longest programme I could find on the dial. Then I washed it again on the cold wool wash with no washing liquid but tripled the fabric conditioner.
Pulled it out and laced it onto a homemade timber frame ( I do have vague memories of granny nailing skins to the back of the workshop door to dry, she used the big flat headed nails for felt). The skin was kept in a cold shed at night but outside where the wind could get at it, not in full sunshine, through the day. Before it was thoroughly dry I rubbed in masses (three full, large tubes of Avon's finest :rolleyes: ) of handcream, and then I pulled and stretched and rubbed the back of the skin over the back of an old wooden chair, around the clothes pole....basically anything that would 'work' it enough to give it some flexibility.
I didn't lose the pelt, it's still possible to bury fingers up to the second knuckles in it, and it looks great. Smells nice too :lmao:
It's still a rawhide process though so it doesn't like getting wet.

I confess to being tempted to try the powdered mimosa bark stuff though, supposedly it's non polluting, non allergenic and very effective as a tanning agent

Best of luck with it, do let us know how you get on :)

Cheers,
Toddy

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Check out a chrome-tan kit on the web - work the hide - then smoke it. Boy, my wife would skin ME if I got near her washing-machine with a green hide.

PG

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
If I brain tanned the hide would this give it enough body to produce a back quiver from? I'm reading that brain tan produces a softer leather.

Although I suppose I could make a belt quiver or a Plains Indian style quiver.

Thanks

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Robbo said:
If I brain tanned the hide would this give it enough body to produce a back quiver from? I'm reading that brain tan produces a softer leather.
Thanks
Andy

If you don't get it softened up while it's drying out it'll make a rock hard hide. If you let it wet and then dry in shape it'll still be really stiff.
Toddy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out a chrome-tan kit on the web - work the hide - then smoke it. Boy, my wife would skin ME if I got near her washing-machine with a green hide.

PG

It washed clean! :D Though I did boil wash paint sheets and overalls for the next couple of washes.

Chrome tan can be nasty stuff, our water treatment engineers throw flakies if they hear about us using chrome. It causes all sorts of problems with micro organisms at the base of the food chains, feminization of shrimp, etc., Our little island home is pretty crowded these days and we're trying to limit the damage we cause to our environment.....we import most of our chrome tanned leather from third world countries.....don't know whether that's shame on us for not finding a better way, or shame on them for letting us exploit them :confused:

Somewhere there's a really good link on the forum to an excellent explanation of the different kinds of tanning processes....anyone know where?

Sleepily,
Toddy

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
My only other concern is weather proofing I'd prefer the leather to fairly wather resistant since as a quiver it will be used outside. can i waterproof a brain/hand cream finished hide ?

I'm a total novice at this

Andy

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Robbo said:

Thanks

Andy

Well, it could be stiffer - if you didn't work it as much (it could be real stiff). At any rate - you wouldn't want it out in the rain if it was brain tanned. That is why I suggest a chemical tan, though a bark tan would do as well. A chrome tan leaves the leather green - which is why I recommend smoking it after as the smoke will give it a tan coloring.

To brain tan properly, you have to scrape off the grain (hair) side so that both sides have a rough texture. This makes the leather less stiff.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Robbo said:
My only other concern is weather proofing I'd prefer the leather to fairly wather resistant since as a quiver it will be used outside. can i waterproof a brain/hand cream finished hide ?

I'm a total novice at this

Andy

Not that I know of. Smoking it is the best water resitent treatment that I'm familiar with (plains NDNs used the top of old leather teepees for moggasin leather - as it was the most water resistent, but that's a lot of smoke.

As there is an issue with chrometan - go for a bark tan instead. The web will give you some good examples on how to go about this. If not, I have a recipe somewhere.

I do have a very good tanning solution at home - which is supposed to be enviromentally friendly. I bought 100 pounds worth fifteen years ago, but the bag ripped and I put it in two other containers and can't remember what it is called. It produces a braintan like hide, but it is a tan, and not just a curring method like braintan, and does not wash out.

PG

Joshua

Dec 13, 2005
Oregon, USA
If you smoke it then you won't have any problems, be sure to tan on a warm day if you decide to brain tan.

Robbo said:

Thanks

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pierre, how were fur hides tanned? If brain tanning needs the skins to be scrapped clean first?
I've never tried smoke tanning but I have heard good things of it. Is there a preferred timber? time of year?

Cheers,
Toddy

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
pierre girard said:
Not that I know of. Smoking it is the best water resitent treatment that I'm familiar with (plains NDNs used the top of old leather teepees for moggasin leather - as it was the most water resistent, but that's a lot of smoke.

As there is an issue with chrometan - go for a bark tan instead. The web will give you some good examples on how to go about this. If not, I have a recipe somewhere.

I do have a very good tanning solution at home - which is supposed to be enviromentally friendly. I bought 100 pounds worth fifteen years ago, but the bag ripped and I put it in two other containers and can't remember what it is called. It produces a braintan like hide, but it is a tan, and not just a curring method like braintan, and does not wash out.

PG

The main issue I have with bark tanning is the period of time it takes. the articles on braintan.com quote around 6 months. I'm willing to wait 6 months but there is a possability I might have to move house, so having a big vat of tanning hide to shift could be a slight problem.

Thanks

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Toddy said:
Pierre, how were fur hides tanned? If brain tanning needs the skins to be scrapped clean first?
I've never tried smoke tanning but I have heard good things of it. Is there a preferred timber? time of year?

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy:

Any time you are tanning a hide, fur on - by any method - the main thing to watch for is - no blood on the fur. Any blood will break down the fur and you end up with a bald spot. To make the fur on hide supple, it is often necessary to scrape the flesh side down. With bear - you often have to scrape until you can see the hair folicles. Doing this by hand - it is very easy to cut through. When brain tanning - no salt.

Far as I know - the only reason for a special wood for smoking - is when you will be eating what you're smoking (fish or meat). For hides - I start a fire and, once it is going - I add anything that will make a smudge - leaves, green wood, etc. You need to watch the fire to make sure your hide doesn't get too much heat (of course).
The main issue I have with bark tanning is the period of time it takes. the articles on braintan.com quote around 6 months. I'm willing to wait 6 months but there is a possability I might have to move house, so having a big vat of tanning hide to shift could be a slight problem.

Thanks
:lmao: Big problem!

In that case - go with the brain tan. It is good to learn how, and the hide just takes more care. Guess I got tired of it after having to re-break brain tanned items so many times after they got wet. Gets tiresome. Be sure to smoke it good after you brain tan it. That will help.

Just remember - the odor of a smoked hide will permeate your whole house (I think it smells good!). Wing won't let me keep a smoked hide in the house for about three years after I've smoked it. Then I have to keep it in a sealed container.

Wing is not as interested in hides as I am. She once threw five bear hides and a moose hide in the garbage. We don't talk about it. :banghead:

PG

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'm gonna list the differing methods of tanning as near as I understand them, if I've made a mistake or have missed out something could someone please show me the error of my ways.

To bark tan

Get some chipped bark for gardens and mix it with water n heat slowly till the tannins leech out, set thsi first mix aside as it too strong and it make up another weaker batch, then possible make a further weaker batch.

Wet the hide and immerse it in a vat of wood ash mixed with water and leave it for a few days checking periodically for the hair to slip. (you can leave the hair on but it will be stained by the tannin)

Once the hair slips, remove all the hair and wash the hide in clean water to remove all trace of the wood ash water mix,

Then immerse the hide in the weakest tannin liquor and stir for the first 10 mins then every ten mins for an hour the leave it for a few days topping up the mix when it starts to look weaker, then after a few weeks move the hide to the next strongest tannin liquor and repeat until after a few weeks, it goes in the last and strongest tannin liquor.

At no time should the hide feel slimey or slippy. a mould can form on the surface this can be skimmed off or mixed in. the mix should smell slightly fermented but not putrid

After say 4-6 months the hide should be ready longer immersions porduce firmer stiffer hides. at this time the hide is worked and has tallow or some other form of oil rubbed well into it. And thats it basically done.

To braintan:

Remove the hair as before (if desired), degrease the hide (if not removing the hair wash the hide in a soapy solution?(I'm not sure of this bit)). wet the hide and work it and tie it onto a stretching frame, apply the brains or eggs mix (more on this later) and rub it in well, once this is dry work the hide over a square edge to soften it or leave it tied to the frame and push against it with a blunt tool.
Then smoke the hide using damp rotten wood to produce lots of smoke.

As far as the brains / eggs slurry goes I know the brains are heated up and mushed into a paste sometimes with soap added, but I'm unsure how the eggs are prepared.

The washing machine/ handcream method is out as my wife would kill me (sloowly) if I put the "bambi skin" in her washing machine.

Well thats my grasp of tanning at this stage i'd really appreciate comments to help my understanding of things.

Thanks

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, washing machine, fabric conditioner, stretched, drying, hand cream, dried, worked. One deer hide done in less than a week :D

Has anyone tried the mimosa bark tanning?
http://www.r-w-d.co.uk/Mimosa.html

I have to admit I find it tempting. The only person I know who uses it (commercially) says three weeks from start to finish, no stink, organic, non allergenic, the hide doesn't need worked or 'broken', environmentally friendly and all round good stuff.

Cheers,
Toddy

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Robbo said:
I'm gonna list the differing methods of tanning as near as I understand them, if I've made a mistake or have missed out something could someone please show me the error of my ways.

To braintan:

Remove the hair as before (if desired), degrease the hide (if not removing the hair wash the hide in a soapy solution?(I'm not sure of this bit)). wet the hide and work it and tie it onto a stretching frame, apply the brains or eggs mix (more on this later) and rub it in well, once this is dry work the hide over a square edge to soften it or leave it tied to the frame and push against it with a blunt tool.
Then smoke the hide using damp rotten wood to produce lots of smoke.

As far as the brains / eggs slurry goes I know the brains are heated up and mushed into a paste sometimes with soap added, but I'm unsure how the eggs are prepared.

The washing machine/ handcream method is out as my wife would kill me (sloowly) if I put the "bambi skin" in her washing machine.

Well thats my grasp of tanning at this stage i'd really appreciate comments to help my understanding of things.

Thanks

Andy

Easiest way I've found to slip hair is to put hide and a little water in a black plastic garbage bag and leave it outside in the sun for a couple days. Check and pull off all the hair that will slip. If some still adheres - leave hide a in the bag for another day or two.

Brain Tan:

To remove hair for brain tan - I scrape off the hair and grain with a scraper. This is how it has traditionally been done - and the way everyone I know does it. I'm not saying you can't do it with the grain on (by slipping the hair) - but I've never heard of it being done that way. I don't think the brain tan solution is able to get into the leather as well with the grain on - but I'm not sure. Must be some reason for removing it. It is certainly a lot more work.

PG

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Have anyone else tried tanning with tea?

I carried out an experiment a while back using it to tan some fish skin. It turned out much better than I expected.

It is only a small chuck but if anyone is interested I will try and get up a photo.

Cheers
Den

Willowbark

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Stroud, Gloucestershire
I find that mimosa works well. It gives a strong hide with stiffness obviously determined by the thickness of the skin to start with. Fallow hide is good for quivers. Roe can be too, if a large one, but with smaller hides they're a bit thin.
If the hide is dried, you would need to soak it really well, or the mimosa solution is not absorbed evenly. There will be a danger of the hair falling out if you soak for too long, so it's a case of feeling the hide daily to see if its soft and supple.
To make up the mimosa solution, mix initially with a small amount of hot water (like making cocoa) and then dilute, other wise it goes all lumpy. But the sloution in a large bucket or bin and add the hide. Stir daily. The hide is done when a cut into the edge shows an even colour all through, with no pale strip in the centre.
You then need to soak the hide overnight in clean water and then rub in oils before it is fully dry.
I have a small amount of mimosa powder I could send you if you would like to give it a go.

Willowbark

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE