What bergen/pack/rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all, hope you are all well. I'm looking at buying a decent bergen in the next week or so. I'm looking to spend around £150. Any clues on what is a good one?

So far I have looked at the Karimore SF Sabre 45 with side pouches. The berghaus Vulcan. Although I'm thinking this is too big.

Has anyone had any dealings with this firm? This pack especially?

http://www.ukmcpro.co.uk/daysacks-a...green-daysacks/bulldog-lycan-pack-detail.html

Thanks for your advice.

Matt

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
It depends on what you want it for.

I have the Karrimor sabre 45 and like it. It's a no frills well built bit of kit. If you can put one on before you buy, I've heard others say they don't suit their shape, and it isn't an adjustable bag.

I have use it to camp even in below zero and even then didn't need the side pockets. The straps allow you to carry a thermarest pad, small tent, wool blanket, etc. so you may not need the side pouches at all.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Lowe Alpine Sting
Berghaus Vulcan
On both you can remove the pouches and cinch the compression straps down to make it smaller.
Karrimor sabre is a great pack and well made but as you say its a fixed back size.
My preference is for the LA sting because of the build quality and adjustable back system but would be happy with either of the other two.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Have a Predator45 (identical to the TECMAC but without the removable back/bag section) and love it.

Check the reviews section of BCUK and you should find reviews of the bags you listed, i know the TECMAC50 is definitely there.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Go look at a Lowe Alpine sting - no money at all and the best all-round pack I've ever worn..............I use a good few others, but the sting would be the one I'd walk into the sea to save......atb mac

Hagrid

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2013
North Devon
I've got an Alice pack and Frame I bought on Ebay for £25...normal price is around £50+, I like frame packs...I need something to take the main weight rather than my old back!!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
How far will you be walking with it? Military packs are bomb proof but tend to be heavy. My wolverine pack is 70l and over 3kg, my granite gear blaze pack is 60l and 1.2kg. Saving 1.8kg before you load it is a big boone if you are doing some miles. You will quickly find you probably want more than one pack depending on what you are doing and the time of year. Im planning a weekend in the peak district soon and ill be taking a 32l pack. If you are young and fit and can carry a good load then you dont need to worry about weight so much. I will second the advice on a sting if you decide to go the military route. Well built, fully adjustable, comfortable (for me).

Look at your gear and its bulk. this will give you a good idea on the size you need. I dont subscribe to carrying a half full pack thats to big for my gear no matter how much compression it has to stabilise the load. If car camping and walking a short way i will take the kitchen sink so its horses for courses. Look at your use requirements and the gear you will need to move in it.

patrols

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
cornwall
I use a Camelbak BFM brilliant rucksack and comes with a hydration system as well, not the cheapest but within your budget and will carry heavy weights with comfort colours are similar to the Karramor range.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll have a good look through all of these. I do a lot of walking so need a good pack that won't destroy my back. I have seen a few I like. Will be ordering this weekend. Thanks again for your advice.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I took delivery of a Karrimor SF Sabre 35 litre daypack this week from Ronnie Sunshines (best price by far) and very impressed with it, was a choice between that and the 45 litre next one up but I felt that would be too big most of the time. Seems very well made and configured and generally well thought out. Greenman Bushcraft have them on offer too I think.

Cheers, Paul

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll have a good look through all of these. I do a lot of walking so need a good pack that won't destroy my back. I have seen a few I like. Will be ordering this weekend. Thanks again for your advice.

Cool, make sure you come back and tell us what you got. Nothing like a bit of vicarious kit shopping :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Hi all, hope you are all well. I'm looking at buying a decent bergen in the next week or so. I'm looking to spend around £150. Any clues on what is a good one?

So far I have looked at the Karimore SF Sabre 45 with side pouches. The berghaus Vulcan. Although I'm thinking this is too big..."

You should buy a Crux AK47 if for no other reason that they are currently available at a reduced price of £150.

I have a Sabre 45, I like it for short walks out to the woods but I find it quite uncomfortable for longer walks, the same may apply to you and my recommendation above, try before you buy, if you must order by mail order make sure you can return it without any hassle (which in theory you should be able to do easily enough in the UK).

Have a think about what you want to put in your pack, think again about how much of that you really want to be weighing you down when you are out and about.

Have a think about where you plan to travel, how far, for how long.

Paul Kirtley did a nice video about how he packed his Sabre 45 which is worth a look and I know he uses that pack to travel some fairly long distances in some faraway places, but he's younger and stronger than I am and probably shrugs off the weight and discomfort.

Edited to add:

Having just scanned through the comments in the above article I note that Paul also uses a Crux AK47.

:)

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
usmcpro are good people but check they have the item in stock - i think their parent company is in France theres often a lead time with products

personally I'd go with the Karrimo though - I've the SF 35lt and its a tidy bit of kit on a part with alot of the US stuff

these guys are good to deal with

http://www.kitmonster.co.uk/

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If you are doing quite a bit of walking I would HIGHLY recommend something like Macpac or Osprey. I have a large Macpac and a smaller Osprey and love them both to bits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE