dangers of fracking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
not watched it, but I live very close to balcome where all the fracking protest are going on. but they all turned up in oil powered cars and vans so they want petrol but just not the fracking even though no permission for fracking has been given yet. so are we now against any type of oil extraction ?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm against an expansion of burning fossil fuels. We should be trying to keep the use down. They are a precious and limited resource.

That aside, I'm not sure fracking poses major risks in the UK. AFAIK, the deposits in the UK are very deep (unlike the US ones) and our laws are different; a mining company can't just build a drill head on your land because they own the mineral rights.

Fracking in an area that has been heavily mined for coal would seem (to my uneducated eye) to be fraught with other possible risks. How much of a shockwave would it take to start the collapse of mined-out coal seams?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Gentlemen,
as this type of news concerns governments and protest, I am inclined to treat it as a political topic and therefore unwelcome, irrespective of anyone's personal views for or against it.

Please keep your comments and replies to a civil level and I'll let it ride, but as soon as any ranting or extreme viewpoint is aired, it'll get closed with haste.

Yours

Ogri the trog

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....That aside, I'm not sure fracking poses major risks in the UK. AFAIK, the deposits in the UK are very deep (unlike the US ones) and our laws are different; a mining company can't just build a drill head on your land because they own the mineral rights....

Different how? Are the land owners not allowed to sell their mineral rights?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
land in the uk is different due to ancient history, serfs, the Monarchy, monastaries, Henry the 8th the church, cottagers, freehold, leesehold, class, right to own land, rottern boroughts, Oliver cromwell etc. Look into it !

Thanks but my interest really ends with the simple question, can you sell mineral rights separately from the land itself?

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
As I recall the deeds to one of the houses my parents purchased stated that the mineral rights to the property belonged to the estate who originally owned the land upon which the houses were built, so I'm guessing they can be separate...

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
To be honest, I doubt there is any kind of real danger associated with Fracking at least not in the short - medium term. But I live not that far from a fracking exploratory operation and I have seen nothing (30 miles away) from it, but I do know people who live much closer as in under a mile and they have seen nothing other than a uptake of traffic in the area and the odd scratch on a car (minor stuff really) but they are seeing a increase in jobs in the area. I doubt they will see things like in the Documentary Gas Lands as most of that is faked and the results haven't been reproduced anyware in any study I have looked for (I looked honestly for supporting stuff, middle of the road stuff and completely proving it false) and I can't find anything from any reputable body that supports it.

Thanks but my interest really ends with the simple question, can you sell mineral rights separately from the land itself?

Short answer, Maybe, possibly er..... consult a good solicitor.

But I have heard tales of long court battles where some one needed to dig X deep to build something like a Pond etc and the hereditary owner of the rights sues the person even if not actively exploiting the rights haven't for a generation or more because they have gone below a depth in some old bill of sale.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Yes, but owning the mineral rights under land doesn't give someone or a company the right to enter the land and start mining. Nothing to stop them mining *under* the land tho'. They just can't erect a rig and start drilling.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Yes, but owning the mineral rights under land doesn't give someone or a company the right to enter the land and start mining. Nothing to stop them mining *under* the land tho'. They just can't erect a rig and start drilling.

That is true, but there is a legal definition some place saying ownership of the land goes down to X, and then anything above that is yours unless specified in a land deal etc as far as I am aware.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

That's similar to most states here. It's comparable to selling someone an acre of land but that acre is locked within the other 73 acres I owm. I have to provide him access across my land or his land is unusable.

Many oil companies drill diagonally to avoid just that problem. But even if they erect a derrick on my land to get to oil they still have to pay me fair compensation for the inconvenience.

Ironically oils companies don't own ANY mineral rights here. They pay the owners of said mineral rights a royalty for anything extracted. And said mineral rights aren't necessarily owned by a single individual (in my case, I have 1/2 rights on one parcel of my land, 1/4 rights on another, and still 1/4 rights on a parcel of land that my father sold over 50 years ago) In the case of fractional ownership, ALL parties have to agree to terms before drilling can commence, with each fractional owner negotiating separately with the oil company.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
That's similar to most states here. It's comparable to selling someone an acre of land but that acre is locked within the other 73 acres I owm. I have to provide him access across my land or his land is unusable.

Many oil companies drill diagonally to avoid just that problem. But even if they erect a derrick on my land to get to oil they still have to pay me fair compensation for the inconvenience.

Ironically oils companies don't own ANY mineral rights here. They pay the owners of said mineral rights a royalty for anything extracted. And said mineral rights aren't necessarily owned by a single individual (in my case, I have 1/2 rights on one parcel of my land, 1/4 rights on another, and still 1/4 rights on a parcel of land that my father sold over 50 years ago) In the case of fractional ownership, ALL parties have to agree to terms before drilling can commence, with each fractional owner negotiating separately with the oil company.

Can I ask how does that work out? in regards to borders of the land ownership.

Say you own the land to mid point of the river and they build a oil rig right next to the edge of the land and drill at a silly shallow angle and the bit officially enters there land but within a ft or so of your land do they still have to pay you or is it once it's under it's under etc?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Can I ask how does that work out? in regards to borders of the land ownership.

Say you own the land to mid point of the river and they build a oil rig right next to the edge of the land and drill at a silly shallow angle and the bit officially enters there land but within a ft or so of your land do they still have to pay you or is it once it's under it's under etc?

The answer is "maybe." They have to pay the owner of the land where the derrick is situated for the inconvenience. But who gets paid for the minerals extracted is determined by who owns the mineral rights; so if the they are extracted from another piece of property, they have to pay whoever owns the mineral rights on that property (regardless of whether the derrick is on it or not)

That said, NO one owns property yo the middle of a river unless it's a very small river. Larger ones (over three feet deep and 30 feet wide) are by nature navigable and thus public property.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting that - its not the same here - the adjoining landowners own waterways (but not the water) to the centreline. Only 2% or so of waterways have a public right of navigation - the rest are in private hands.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE