Canoe Sailing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
H
2013-08-11 14.13.59.jpg by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Had a wee day out on Loch Ard today, bit breezey but ideal for tweaking the setup of my Pop up sail.

Struggled upwind to the Island and had a lunch stop on the Island. Then a blast back down the loch using the sail, the wind faded at the end but was effortless !

I collected some pine resin, it was oozing out of a nearby tree (white in the right hand side of the pic. below), as a fire starter and needles and cones as kindling. Kettle fired up for some hot choc and noodles.

Kelly Kettle Cuppa by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Kettle was boiling in 5 mins.

Kelly Kettle - all fired up by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Pine Cones and needles fuel yer cuppa....... by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

The US Canteen cup is ideal with the kelly kettle, once you have taken the kettle off the fire pot, you can keep the cup warm on the embers of the fire pot base.

Kelly Kettle fired up fro a Cuppa on Eilean Ghorm by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

The secret loch and Crannog are across from the island.

View from Eilean Ghorm, Loch Ard, Trossachs, Scotland. by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

The Bothy was ready in case any showers blew through, forecast was thunder and hail showers, but non came till I got back to the car after 4pm.

Bothy on Eilean Ghorm by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

This is the Pop Up BIC sail setup. You can reach the control lines form the seat. It de-powers in higher winds.

Just landed after blasting downwind all the way down Loch Ard by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Thanks for posting, we like Loch Ard. I have a Windpaddle on the sit on top kayak. Very clever design.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Nice pictures of a cool outing. How do you like the BIC sail? Does it provide good performance? Do you feel it is good value for the money spent? I've been considering purchasing one but I'm on the fence. : )

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Nice panoramic's and a good day with the looks of it.
I never new there was a bothy there, but that's probably because I don't have a canoe any more. Tempted to buy one again next year tho. Is the bothy in good condition?

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Tight lines for downwind sailing, slacken them off and one can sail off the wind with the Windpaddle. Adjust things properly and one can steer with a double paddle without needing a rudder on a SOT kayak.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE