Food You Love To Have Along

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Not food, really. My favorite treat in the brush - especially on a cold morning - is Hot Tang.

Hmmm just occured to me. Do you have Tang (powdered orange drink) in the British Isles?

PG

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
My recent favourite snack food when im out in the woods is dried mango. Another firm favourite lunchtime snack is cooked milano salami in a naan bread.

P.S don't think i've seen tang, but you can get orange drinking powder in most supermarkets.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic thread!

This one really got me thnking. Theres a few for me (and I'm sorry to confess none are very bushcrafty - and many aren't food)!

So - in no particular order......

Coffee. Not instant - real coffee. I'm a bit of a snob here, yeah, I know about "cowboy coffee" - not my choice. Batterred old perculator, set on the flames, fresh ground coffee (okay now here I'll confess I do grind the beans just before I set out - I guess I could rig something like a quern stone but not before I've had coffee :) ). The sound of it "blubbing" away, the smell...hey the smell alone feels like morning!

Whisky. Yup not politically correct I know, but me and a mate or two..fire just needs whisky. Must be Islay malt (unless I've run out - then I'll drink "OPs"). Preferably Caol Ila or Lagavulin. Used to manage from a hip flask, but now....got some stainless steel tumblers that stack...we're not savages you know!

Bacon - its a first morning ritual! Now bacon grilling while the coffees perking! Its tinned bacon grill after that, which I like, but its not the same (and yes, we do take bread and an old "body shop" shampoo bottle full of HP.

Chilli chicken. Fiona takes fresh ginger, garlic, chilli, soy sauce (body shop bottle again), olive oil (guess??), Balsamic vinegar (getting a theme yet?), and a coating of cornflower (small ziplock this time). Chinese cookery is the business because its generally "one pot" cooking. Fresh veg lasts for several days in your bergan and those tiny little hotel size placcy bottles manage all the runny stuff. Rice is easy.

Guess that'll do for now or I'll be thread hogging ;)

Red

salami, black pudding,cooked over the fire kebab style...yum yum. :lurk:
[]
newcamera00058.jpg
[/I

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Goose said:
Tang, is that the same as screech? :D

Yep! Tang=screech="Rise & Shine" (remember that stuff - it was ALL additives! I do quite like the new isotonic lucozade powder though

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
British Red said:
Fantastic thread!

Coffee. Not instant - real coffee. I'm a bit of a snob here, yeah, I know about "cowboy coffee" - not my choice. Batterred old perculator, set on the flames, fresh ground coffee (okay now here I'll confess I do grind the beans just before I set out - I guess I could rig something like a quern stone but not before I've had coffee :) ). The sound of it "blubbing" away, the smell...hey the smell alone feels like morning!

Whisky. Yup not politically correct I know, but me and a mate or two..fire just needs whisky. Must be Islay malt (unless I've run out - then I'll drink "OPs"). Preferably Caol Ila or Lagavulin. Used to manage from a hip flask, but now....got some stainless steel tumblers that stack...we're not savages you know!

Bacon - its a first morning ritual! Now bacon grilling while the coffees perking! Its tinned bacon grill after that, which I like, but its not the same (and yes, we do take bread and an old "body shop" shampoo bottle full of HP.

Red

Coffee:

I have friends who are so into this, they buy their beans green, roast them in a pan over the fire, put the roasted bean in a sock, place the sock on a rock, and pound it into grounds with the back side of an axe.

Whiskey:

I'm not much of a drinker - you could almost say I'm a non-drinker, but a few years ago, someone brought some Lafroig (sp?) single malt scotch with, and maybe once or twice a year I'll bring some on a trip. Great stuff. Can't afford to drink it more often at $60 a bottle though.

Bacon:

Absolutely right!

PG

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
pierre girard said:
Coffee:

I have friends who are so into this, they buy their beans green, roast them in a pan over the fire, put the roasted bean in a sock, place the sock on a rock, and pound it into grounds with the back side of an axe.

Whiskey:

I'm not much of a drinker - you could almost say I'm a non-drinker, but a few years ago, someone brought some Lafroig (sp?) single malt scotch with, and maybe once or twice a year I'll bring some on a trip. Great stuff. Can't afford to drink it more often at $60 a bottle though.

Bacon:

Absolutely right!

PG

PG,

I have a hand mill that I take on extended trips - there is something delightful about the thought of making coffee with the back of an axe though - may just have to try that one!!

Laphroaig is also an Islay malt! Its that peaty iodine tang that works so well outdoors I think. I agree though, it not about getting drunk or anything like it, just a moment of real pleasure. On the link below is a list of Islay Malts, some photos and a map of the island - thought it might interest you!

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/islay/distilleries/index.html

$60 is absurd - when you run out of Laphroaig, send me a mail and I'll send you over a replacement Islay gratis (something diffeent for variety). Kinda like the idea of Islay malt being drunk in the states by a guy called Pierre(sorry guys thats not a general invite for free Bunnahabhain :nana: )!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
pierre girard said:

Pierre,

Don't know if you are aware, "screech" is not a brand name. Screech is what guys in the forces over here call the orange powder drink (and now lemon as well) that comes in our rat packs. Its weird stuff that everyone hates when they first drink it - mainly cos getting the mix right is hard. They give loads in a single packet and dumping it all in your water bottle makes a hugely strong drink. To start with a lot of guys put in some and keep the rest in the open packet rolled up (it then gets damp and sets or spills all over your webbing and stains). Over time, guys get addicted to the stuff and make it stronger and stronger. Talk about mixing screech and all the ex-forces (or current) will chip in their own stories. Its second only to "cheese possessed" whose only purpose that I could fathom was to make hot cheese claymores :lmao:

Red

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
The only orange drink powder i have used is the British army stuff fondly known as "Screech". It has quite an acquired taste and i can only recall using it in tropical and dessert regions when the field kitchens would make a huge vat of it and add fresh orange, lemon or lime segments to sweeten it a bit.

Andy introduced me to mango pieces then he promptly hid the packet :rolleyes:

Deep fat fried Sausages and bacon in butter was wonderful but i don't think i will do that again. I always have some Mosley with dried fruit mixed with a little sugar and milk powder in my pack somewhere, a great quick and easy meal that you just need to add water and it provides you with sugar and slow release carbs to keep your fire inside burning.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Has to be pancakes with maple syrup.I make the batter up at home and pour into a nalgene bottle as it tends to settle I can just give it a good shake before cooking.
Dave.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Adi Fiddler said:
Andy introduced me to mango pieces then he promptly hid the packet :rolleyes:

Yeah same here Adi...........I was offered a piece of mango, which was delicious, but I never got to see it again...............Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nemisis said:
Has to be pancakes with maple syrup.I make the batter up at home and pour into a nalgene bottle as it tends to settle I can just give it a good shake before cooking.
Dave.

Do you need to use a non-stick pan for this, I like the sound of it............Jon

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Apples, especially a good Devon apple (ideally organic too). This isn't about being snobby or parochial, I love the flavour of a decent English apple, and I very much like the fact that I know where it's from. That latter point is kinda self-fulfilling anyway as it's often got on route, or whilst I'm out and about ... :rolleyes:

I also try to always carry hojicha tea too (but I'll take a good kukicha if not), and very dark, very bitter chocolate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE