Old/heavy duty sewing machine.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
As per the title. I'm looking for a sewing machine capable of sewing multiple layers of heavy canvas or 1000D cordura.

Collection from Peterborough/Cambridgeshire area prefered. Ill be back in Staffordshire from October 1st when my final year at uni begins.

I'm guessing postage will be prohibitively expensive hence the preference to collect localy/ish for the right deal. It's a long shot but you never know!

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Have you got any make/ model names/ numbers? How many layers of what weights? We kinda need a better idea of what you're after :) How thick will the bulk be under the presser foot? That might be your limiting factor :)

Try the Bay for cheap machines as well, and freecycle :)

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Have you got any make/ model names/ numbers? How many layers of what weights? We kinda need a better idea of what you're after :) How thick will the bulk be under the presser foot? That might be your limiting factor :)

Try the Bay for cheap machines as well, and freecycle :)
Thanks for the help and sorry for the delayed reply!

Basically I'd be sewing things up to a cm thick by the time foam padding and two/three layers of Cordura are added. It'd be the heavy weight 1000D cordura. I wish I could be more specific but that's the limit of what I know I'm afraid. I'd prefer an older manual hand crank version if this is suitable for my application, less to go wrong!

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thanks for the help and sorry for the delayed reply!

Basically I'd be sewing things up to a cm thick by the time foam padding and two/three layers of Cordura are added. It'd be the heavy weight 1000D cordura. I wish I could be more specific but that's the limit of what I know I'm afraid. I'd prefer an older manual hand crank version if this is suitable for my application, less to go wrong!

sounds like an industrial might be the best bet, afraid in not your gal for help on those old hand rank style... Dad makes car upholstery on a singer 15k30 (or 30k15, in rubbish at electrics :D)

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
If you're looking to stitch layers of cordura i'd go for a walking foot machine. Depending on the length of what your'e stitching, a hand crank machine my give you a severe case of RSI! Electric all the way for me:D

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Thanks, some useful info and a good source there.

MODS: this is turning more into a help thread rather than a sales thread.... If you feel it should be moved please do so. I don't wish to clutter up the sales forum needlessly...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE