Tree Straps, what thread will I need>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Hi I have many many meters of 25mm polyester webbing, I want to make a set of tree straps but am unsure of what thread to use. Could anyone point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Chris

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
In my experience, the best thing to use for stitching polyester is polyester; just a good quality polyester sew-all. The way you sew it together is much more important than trying to just use large strong linen thread or upholstery stuff. when you make your slings (or straps) allow about 30-40mm overlap and then box stitch it, look at a good rucksack or bit of gear where webbing has been stitched on. It can help to lightly glue your straps in place before sewing, just 'till you get used to doing it............hope this helps, atb mac

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
1. don't use any thread that has any cotton in it - use 100 percent polyester
2. box stitching is OK but I prefer just going back and forth across the strap about 20 times over the 30-40 mm section being stitched, some other people prefer putting in 4 or 5 bar tacks but I feel that a bar tack weakens the strap so I don't use them
3. I just use a sew-all weight thread - it seems to work for me just as well as the heavier thread - in particular I use Gütermann's Mara 70 thread

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Remember to sew slowly, rapid machines can heat the needle and this can make little micro melts in the strap, this can weaken the strap and also cause sharp edges in it which will abrade the thread over time.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I didn't sew anything lol i just doubled it over and then tied an overhand knot about every 12 inches. I'm over 19 sotn and its never budged an inch under my weight even when moving about quite a bit!

Dave

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I use polyester box standard Guterman Thread, no problem at all, Have made many tree huggers in the past, a couple of the guys in SBCG have some of mine as well.....

Used the same thread for kite straps and kits as well, as You know Ive made and flown some large kites and in some high winds....

I normaly use Box Stich with a X in it, if your worred about the stiching braking over time use an other colour youl soon see it before it toally fails... used it on som of the rigging of big kites...

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
What DaveB said, use a overhand every 12 inches. Loop it around the tree and through itself and use the knots as the adjustment for the differing distances between trees etc

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
It might be worth throwing some knots into it and having a quick hang to check it for stretch before you break out the sewing machine. I bought some poly webbing strappping and found there was a lot of stretch when I tried to use it, too much for my liking. I am now using much thicker and heavier straps around the tree with a marlinspike hitch and amsteel slings to the hammock, there is no stretch in this setup.

The other thing I found was that as the tree hugger webbing stretched there was so much friction inside the loop that the material melted and fused together. It would only have lasted a couple of hangs at most before breaking. Now I have aluminium descender rings on my tree huggers and I thread the free end through them. I wont have webbing-on-webbing friction after that experience!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I used normal cotton thread ( it was all I had ) and one of those miniature sewing machines from Aldi. I repeatedly went back and forward over a 50mm section until I could barely see the tape for thread, and I've never had a problem.

Cheers, Michael.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
if stitching by hand a sailmakers palm is very handy for pushing the needle through:

338835.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE